How to get in a smoke during your coffee break?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmgent

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
Short background. I have been a pipe smoker off and of for 30 years. I smoke cigarettes at work due to time limitations. I used to have a rubber cap that I could put over my pipe to snuff it out when I smoked at work. Time sadly destroyed my gadget.
How do any of you deal with smoking during coffee breaks, or 10 minute moments when at work?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Farmgent,
I too have smoked for over 3 decades.

I have two solutions:

1) smoke a small bowl pipe

2) smoke a half packed bowl
I have often had that 15 minute constraint, so I wouldn't pack a whole bowl, just a partial bowl.
I'm no anti smoking Nazi, but I recommend that you dump the coughin' nails.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Farmgent, and welcome to the forums. Before I retired and the whole thing became a non-issue, I found that small-bowl and vest pocket pipes were the ticket. But I didn't want to spend waste time with relights, tamping and futzing around either. Thru trial and error, I found that the right tobacco choices helped considerably. I got onto shag cuts, and eventually discovered Five Brothers, which was very cigarette-like and packed a substantial nicotine hit. In retrospect, those smoking occasions aren't about parsing-out and savoring delicate flavors; they're about refreshment.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since my previous post, I discovered that both PipesAndCigars and 4noggins are out of stock on Five Brothers, but Cigar Town seems to have it in 12 packs for $28.00 (which is so inexpensive it looks like a typo.)
Also, consider a bottle cork to cap the pipe that you were using.

farmgent

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
I found some 5 brothers at www.tobaccomkt.com That is the online shop of what used to be Royal Cigar and Pipe in Atlanta. Used to be the gathering spot of the Atlanta Pipe Club.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
That is the online shop of what used to be Royal Cigar and Pipe in Atlanta. Used to be the gathering spot of the Atlanta Pipe Club.
I'd heard on another forum that the pipe club should be starting back up. Not sure if it'll be in the same spot...
I'll see if I can get some further information on this.
As for grabbing a quick smoke at work, I don't tend to take smoke breaks often. When I do, I like to enjoy my pipe during my lunch break.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Now that I think about it, that is one of the reasons I became so hooked on small pipes. I tend to be a group 2 group 3 guy. Probably also why I became so hooked on VA and flakes. Whenever I have worked somewhere where I had scheduled breaks I would load like a group 2 or 3 with a whole flake or 2 folded and stuffed in the morning. First break, charring light, tamp, get things started, back to work. Second break, easy light, soft sweet VA goodness for 20 min or so after lunch, go back to work. Third break, nice little DGT smokey spicey caramelized sugar nugget, go back to work. Go home and, if you have a long commute and the mood should so strike, a full bowl of something on the ride home with good tunes and a good beverage. I used to have a 45 min to an hour commute depending on traffic. Never seemed to get that road rage thing that all the monkeys around me seemed to be infected with. I'd be the guy with the cloud of Dorchester smoke around my head, tears coming out of my eyes because I just blasted a full hit of it out of my nostrils and a big ol' smile on my face.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Using Va.'s for their (usually) good DGT characteristics is a really great strategy Phil. I'll have to put that on a 3x5 card and add it to my collection of pipe smoking tips and tricks!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I just use a cork, carved to fit the opening of the bowl. It is also easier if you fully pack the pipe - then you won't have to re-fill etc. Just smoke how much you have time for and then use the cork and put the pipe in your pocket. Re-lighting a pipe is a lot quicker than the first light.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I just used to set the pipe on my desk in a little pipe holder. It's not like it's hard to tamp a pipe out and its not like it sits there stinking up the joint like a stubbed out cigar. I never got any complaints from even the most bitchy of catty office bitches. Cork is an awesome idea though for when you need to stash the pipe in yer pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.