How To Find A Particular Strength/Flavor Profile?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im new to cigar smoking. Is there a site like tobaccoreviews.com for cigars? It seems all the cigar sites either show the strength or the flavor profile, but not both. My preference is a medium flavor but mild strength and its not always easy to figure out which cigars meet this classification, if any do at all. I find some cigars tend to have a much bigger nicotine hit than pipe tobacco and its not always pleasant. Any recommendations in the $6-$12 range?

Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Im new to cigar smoking. Is there a site like tobaccoreviews.com for cigars? It seems all the cigar sites either show the strength or the flavor profile, but not both. My preference is a medium flavor but mild strength and its not always easy to figure out which cigars meet this classification, if any do at all. I find some cigars tend to have a much bigger nicotine hit than pipe tobacco and its not always pleasant. Any recommendations in the $6-$12 range?
Oliva Connecticut Robusto.

Reactions: jvnshr and Worknman

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Cigars have such a narrow range of flavors compared to pipe tobacco that I find the distinctions in cigar styles tend to matter far less than those in pipe tobacco. Not to hate on cigars at all, I have a humidor full of about 100 or so various sticks.

A good mild go-to cigar is the Arturo Fuente 8-5-8. I also enjoy the macanudo inspirado orange for a stronger spicier cigar. Flor de los Antilles by My Father is a good full flavored cigar that is not spicy. Just those three cigars will run about a quarter of the gamut of cigar flavor profiles, broadly speaking. There is of course more nuance that that, but compared to all the pipe tobacco options, it’s basically just splitting hairs.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
And the site you’re looking for is Cigar Aficionado. Anything 90+ rated tends to be pretty good. I’d consider that the equivalent of about a 3.5 on tobaccoreviews.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Cigars have such a narrow range of flavors compared to pipe tobacco that I find the distinctions in cigar styles tend to matter far less than those in pipe tobacco. Not to hate on cigars at all, I have a humidor full of about 100 or so various sticks.

A good mild go-to cigar is the Arturo Fuente 8-5-8. I also enjoy the macanudo inspirado orange for a stronger spicier cigar. Flor de los Antilles by My Father is a good full flavored cigar that is not spicy. Just those three cigars will run about a quarter of the gamut of cigar flavor profiles, broadly speaking. There is of course more nuance that that, but compared to all the pipe tobacco options, it’s basically just splitting hairs.
I actually have an AF 858 just haven't smoked it yet. I smoked an AF Hemingway Work of Art the other day and it kicked my but with the nicotine.

Reactions: lawdawg
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Dominican cigars tend to be milder, Nicaraguan stronger. I have to disagree regarding CA ratings. They seem to correlated more to advertising dollars spent than actual expert tasting. IMHO, three best cigars these days are made in Nicaragua. Padron may hit your sweet spot as well as Oliva and Brick House. Tatuaje and My Father are stronger. Try some different things to see what you like.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's a good question, but as far as I know there isn't anything as comprehensive like Tobacco Reviews. There are forums and review sites, but TR is a special resource. It is extremely difficult to get accurate strength, flavor and body measures. Partly because it's largely subjective and also because it's so tied in with marketing.

My usual suggestions for newer guys/gals is Oliva Serie G or O, Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R, and the core Padron line (i.e. not the Anniversary series). My Father Flor de las Antillas is another great choice and even though I am not a huge fan of CT-wrapped cigars myself, I think the My Father CT is a good one. All of these can be had in your price range or for even less.

One last thing. Hope I don't come off as pedantic, but how often are you puffing? If you're used to a pipe, you'll want to puff less often on a cigar. I tend to space my puffs out about a minute a piece. That may keep you from feeling the nicotine quite as much, and you'll get a longer and better tasting cigar as well.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Medium flavor and mild strength in the price range you mention are Cuban cigars, through and through. Strongly recommend Por Larrañaga, Hoyo de Monterrey, El Rey del Mundo and Vegas Robaina all fit the bill. La Gloria Cubana would as well, but they've been tough to find for a little while, now.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I'll chime in here and also recommend Perdomo Champagne, Avo, and Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 and 1992.
Funny enough the RP Vintage 1990 was one of the first premium cigars I ever smoked and I loved it. I have the Perdomo Champagne in my humidor waiting to be smoked.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I find cigars and grading of flavors to be more subjective than pipe tobaccos for some reason. I agree with lawdog's assessment that the ranges of flavors are much more narrow in cigars. Two resources that I enjoy for reviews are Halfwheel.com and Blind man's puff but they tend toward the boutique spectrum. Between the two there are a plethora of selection with a pretty good palate description.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Smoke as many different cigars as you can in the beginning . Only you know what you like. I only smoke maybe 4 different cigars now. I know what I like. Same with pipe tobacco I only smoke at most 5 different blends. Overtime you know what works. Don’t chase the next big thing you read about.

Status
Not open for further replies.