PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bananacaravanadium

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2024
Willamette Valley, OR
We always say to smoke slow, but how slow is “slow”? Without trying to start a “pipe” measuring contest (just trying to make a baseline here), can you guys share how long it takes to smoke 1 coin of Escudo? Folded and stuffed (maybe roughed up but not rubbed out) and not left out to dry. For me it’s about 90-100 minutes.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
It's a YMMV sort of thing, and it depends on numerous variables -- pipe size, pack tightness, tobacco, tobacco format, how dry the tobacco, etc, etc. If you are enjoying Escudo over a 90-100 minute period who cares how long the rest of us take? Try experimenting with cadence to suss out your sweet spot. As a rule of thumb if the pipe is too hot to hold you are smoking too fast.

bullet08

Administrator
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Slow to you preference. It's your pipe. You smoke it however you want to. Some like it so slow, pipe is between going out and coming back due to slow draw. I like it on a bit of warm side. Cold smoke taste like a dead gold fish that got stuck in a garden hose back from my elementary school. I had to drain a sink in 4th grade. Some memories just doesn't fade away.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
For me it’s about 90-100 minutes.
I have been pipe smoking for nearly thirty (30) years, without the urge to time myself and I hope for that trend to continue for another thirty (30) years.

That said, 90-100 minutes is almost certainly longer than it has ever taken me to smoke any tobacco/pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We always say to smoke slow, but how slow is “slow”? Without trying to start a “pipe” measuring contest (just trying to make a baseline here), can you guys share how long it takes to smoke 1 coin of Escudo? Folded and stuffed (maybe roughed up but not rubbed out) and not left out to dry. For me it’s about 90-100 minutes.
With or without relights?

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Every blend, pipe and situation can make the length of a pipe different..... In my world.
If the stars are aligned and im not thinking about a sick animal, or tomorrows work load, or any other drama, I can make a coin last maybe 45 minutes. I ALAWAYS want to smoke slowly, but that doesn't always work out.
I prefer larger pipes.....like Lane Era Charatan Make pipes, or Moretti, or even Mario Grande.....so, I sometimes load THREE flakes of something like LNF. That can last me well over two hours. Which is fine with me on the right day. Cooler evening, alone with my NON work thoughts, I try at least 2 or 3 times a week to have one of these times.

hoipolloiglasgow

Administrator
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Who cares? I don’t smoke slow to win some acceptance or award. I think slow down is mainly something to tell novice pipe smokers who tend to smoke hot. If your pipe isn’t too hot and you’re enjoying, you are doing it correctly and your pipe should last a long time. Not too fast, but not going sooo slow on purpose that that becomes the goal instead of enjoyment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lollol...asking the real question here!

An hour and a half for one coin of Escudo...I can't fathom that. Congrats if that's at one sitting, no relights; flavourful and economical!
I only ask the question because it's germane to the topic.

I'm a fairly slow smoker. By that I mean that I can nurse along a blend for quite a while if so inclined. As an example, at one of the WCPS's I was offered some vintage Edgeworth flake. Not wanting to be a piggy with what is a very rare tobacco, I broke off a piece of one flake, about a quarter of it and fired it up. As I sat there at a table, in conversion with friends, I sipped away on that bit of flake for about 90 minutes without a relight, and it was only about 3/4 consumed. We adjourned and I continued to enjoy that flake, again no relights, for about another 40 minutes or so before it was done.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Here’s a thing none of the polite guys are coming out and saying.
No one cares if you take an hour and a half to smoke a coin of Escudo.
Do you like it? Does it take care of your needs?
If so, that’s great, and we all want that for you and the rest of us.

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
SNIP ...For me it’s about 90-100 minutes.
I'm a slow smoker and that would be very slow for me, and it would include re-lights. I'm around 75 minutes. Do you ever get a sign a well-seasoned pipe is about to gurgle? That's where I like to smoke, just a little hotter so there's no actual gurgle. That's where I find the sweetest flavor profile (I only smoke VAs).