PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Most of my corn cob pipes have the Dr Grabow or medico paper filters. To those of you that uses paper filters, my question is how often do you replace the filters with fresh ones?
My habit is once a week, sooner if I've smoked a certain pipe heavy; later if I've only smoked it a few times.
If I have to guess I'd say I might get about 5 - 10 smoked before changing. Your thoughts??

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I usually change them after every bowl, but always after two bowls. I don't like my airflow to be pulled through the collected black tar on the front of the filter. I buy 6mm and 9mm filters by the biggest and cheapest quantities I can find. 8)

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
I only smoke a bowl or 2 a week, so when I smoke my cob with a filter I will toss the filter when done. I do not want the filter to sit in the stem for a period of time while it is still wet and nasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go with the consensus, about two bowls. I only have two or three filter pipes, cobs and a Grabow. Even

a new filter does strange things to a blend's flavor. Mainly, they dry out an over-moist aromatic and make

it bite less. With non-aros, which ironically seem to bite less, I don't like filters.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just received my first pipe that even uses a filter. Can I not just smoke it with no filter in place?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I only have two pipes with filters. I get rid of the filter each smoke. Got to keep your pipe clean!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
How often do I have to change a filter... NEVER.
Which is simply a matter of why I never need to do so. Less hassle and every time you need to change the filter, which is VERY often, you must remove the stem which is something you should not have to do that frequently. Also, I like having the option of occasionally running a pipe cleaner through the stem when I feel the need to do so. Ya can't very well do that with a damn filter in the stem.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I use filters on my Grabows and MM Cobs always. I happen to like them that way. After a few smoke or so I discard them and run a pipe cleaner thru. Works for me...

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
When I get a pipe that has a filter I pull it out and throw it on the fridge, tried one once, couldn't tell the difference so I thought why bother with the additional expense. I think the only regular thing a pipe needs is a pipe cleaner, oh and plenty of tobacco of course .... :puffy:

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Thanks folks for your comments. Seems the consciences is that I should change mine more often then I do currently.
Plil67 You stated
, I like having the option of occasionally running a pipe cleaner through the stem when I feel the need to do so. Ya can't very well do that with a damn filter in the stem.
I have no problem sending a pipe cleaner down the stem and through the paper filter s needed.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
For all you 9mm filter folks (and 6mm filter, too) I recommend the Savinelli balsa filters. The 9mm are fairly available and give a better smoke than the paper/charcoal versions. Just my opinion.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
When I used the paper filters, I'd change after every smoke. Now I've switched to the Brigham Rock Maple filters which I clean under the faucet after a day's use. I leave them out to dry for two days afterward. If using in the plastic stems the cobs come with, there is no need to cut the filters down. If using in a Kaywoodie/Grabow, you'll have to trim it back to fit inside the stem. Hope this helps.
-Jason

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I change out the filters in my 9mm pipes after every smoke and in my Brighams I wipe down the filter and run a pipe cleaner through it after every smoke until it turns a brownish color then change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.