PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Simon, your initial paragraph hit the nail right on the head. I think it was either somebody writing for McClelland, or G L Pease who opined that one needs to smoke at least a 2oz. tin before their palate is fully attuned to a blend -- and usually more is required. That being the case, you can't do justice to 3600 blends; and, because of the "memory problem," it's doubtful one can give balanced treatment even within a single blend genre.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I agree with what Simon said about not remembering blends after awhile.
Part of my job here on PipesMagazine is reviewing tobacco blends, so I smoke A LOT of different blends. I will say that it gets mind blowing trying to remember anything about most of the blends. Of course there are a couple of blends that really stand out and I remember some things about them; but for the most part, I have to go back and review my notes and reviews to see what I thought about a specific blend.
But even on the blends that I can remember about, the main thing that I can remember is if I liked it or not. I forget most of the nuances of a blend after a little while because I am always focusing on and writing about so many other blends. Like I said, there are a few exceptions to this, but not many.
The major drawback to smoking so many different blends is that I will smoke and review a blend that I really like and sometimes totally forget about that blend because I am smoking so many other blends all of the time.
So as far as trying every blend that is out there, it is an impossible task to do so and give each blend the consideration that it deserves.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Right Bob. What confounds things is that a blend will usually reveal different things in different pipes.

So the combinations in this hobby are almost endless.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Frank, Wow! I never thought to do the math, but you're right!

Even if you just had 1 bowlful of each it would take a long time to go thru 3600 blends.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I guess the list gets a little smaller if you can put alot of the blends into a category like aromatics, Orientals, etc.
I would still like to try a different blend every night, because I like variety in life...tradition...SUCKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.