PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Dear colleagues, I have a question regarding the smoking duration (from start to end) that you normally face during the time you are smoking a pipe. I know that a general answer will be like, it depends on the size of your pipe. In my case I normally smoke my El Dagner (picture) or a Peterson and Nørding with similar sizes, and I normally use aromatic blends.
The smoking length with a full bowl takes about 10 to 15 minutes only. I don’t puff quickly, but rather take my time and the heat of the bowl is moderate.
My question, is this smoking length normal? I see in many videos people saying it takes 40 minutes or more.
I am new in pipe smoking thus my question, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
That is really fast though ribbon cut does burn faster. If you want to smoke cooler and longer the key is not just speed. Everyone says slow down but that is confusing to new pipers. If you slow down too much you constantly relight. Sometimes to the point of frustration. Take your time AND take small wisps of smoke rather big mouthfuls like its a cigar. You will get more flavor and also retrohale.

I dont know the size of that bowl but anything but mini pipes should last longer.

The above posts were made at the same time. Sipping is a nice term. Practice different techniques until you find what works. Consider each bowl an experiment until you find what suits you.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Should be longer than 10-15 minutes. The short time could be the result of really, really dry tobacco or you aren't packing properly, i.e., not enough tobacco in the bowl. YouTube has many videos on packing a pipe. If you are new to the hobby I recommend avoiding aromatics as they can be problematic for the inexperienced. There are lots of non-aromatic blends that will be trouble-free. Concerning cadence if the pipe is too hot to hold you are smoking way too fast.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Dear colleagues, I have a question regarding the smoking duration (from start to end) that you normally face during the time you are smoking a pipe. I know that a general answer will be like, it depends on the size of your pipe. In my case I normally smoke my El Dagner (picture) or a Peterson and Nørding with similar sizes, and I normally use aromatic blends.
The smoking length with a full bowl takes about 10 to 15 minutes only. I don’t puff quickly, but rather take my time and the heat of the bowl is moderate.
My question, is this smoking length normal? I see in many videos people saying it takes 40 minutes or more.
I am new in pipe smoking thus my question, thank you.
Welcome aboard first of all. As others have alluded to it is a highly subjective and personal matter. I also teach SCUBA and that perennial question of how long does a SCUBA tank last? I could almost retire if a had a hondo for every time a person asked me that. Back to a pipe, you will notice what you are engaged of (working or relaxing) the amount of tobacco and the cadence of your puffing to all play a crucial role.
If you are seeking generalized responses most pipers i know 15-45mins relaxing with a medium of 12-15g of baccy is all within a standard timeframe. Keep in mind the best slow smokers can take those same 12gr of tobacco and stretch out the smoke to 90-100mins!
Good luck to you on your pipe explorations

Reactions: epazikas

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It sounds like you are not fully packing that pipe but rather doing a gravity fill of loose tobacco. I'm in the 45-60 minute category with the above answers. I suggest reading this:

Reactions: epazikas

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I'm sort of a puffer, and I always smoke outside with a book. I couldn't care less how often I relight, I keep my Zippo in my cup holder, (with just enough whiskey to occasionally wet my tongue.) and although I tend of puff clouds of smoke, I smoke cool and relight whenever it goes out.
I usually take two pipes out with me, one large and one small, both churchwardens. The large pipe will usually go for an hour, the small one half an hour. Then it's time to go back in and rejoin the 21st century.
But like others have said, time isn't of much consequence if you're enjoying yourself.

Reactions: epazikas and JOHN72

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Welcome aboard first of all. As others have alluded to it is a highly subjective and personal matter. I also teach SCUBA and that perennial question of how long does a SCUBA tank last? I could almost retire if a had a hondo for every time a person asked me that. Back to a pipe, you will notice what you are engaged of (working or relaxing) the amount of tobacco and the cadence of your puffing to all play a crucial role.
If you are seeking generalized responses most pipers i know 15-45mins relaxing with a medium of 12-15g of baccy is all within a standard timeframe. Keep in mind the best slow smokers can take those same 12gr of tobacco and stretch out the smoke to 90-100mins!
Good luck to you on your pipe explorations
Hello LongIslandPiper, thank you very much for your explanation and of course it makes me easier to understand the matter after you compared the smoking techniques with Scuba diving. The way I am smoking my pipe pleases me but I was curious how the other pipe smokers can last that long? Now it all makes sense, as well as in Scuba diving possibly the same happens. Great thanks and greetings from Sweden.

Reactions: LongIslandPiper