PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
This is a question that I am sure has many potential potholes. I realize we "all" have sooner or later been on the quest for an awesome blend. However, reality is that we experience a let down many times. So that being said, what blends have you found that did not let you down (for the most part...all things considered). I am looking for cut to the chase great blends.....almost any pipe etc type blends. Naturally I realize mileage may vary but anyway. What say ye?

For my input on the aro side I like 1Q and Butternut Burley. The latakia side PS Balkan Supreme. Of course both of those are bulk blends. But...please guys throw in the tinned blends because that's how we newbies get turned on to great stuff which is the whole point of this query.....

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, here's my 2 cents worth. Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream is a high quality blend with a cognac topping. Cool burning, no bite and heavenly room note. Its a new blend from them but will be classic.

Samuel Gawith's 1792 is a "love it or hate it" blend but to have never given it an honest try is to leave a giant void in your pipe smoking experience. I, for one, love the stuff.

I'm sure that this stream will grow quickly.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I had read dozens of the hundreds of reviews of Esoterica Tobacciana's Penzance, and found it hard to believe it could possibly be that good.
I was gifted an unopened tin of it a month ago. Sheeeit,....it's BETTER than all the reviews I read!

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, Jim....you rightly say this is certainly a personal issue, but here goes....

I also think that 1Q and BB are great aros....but I also prefer RLP-6 and BCA

For a bit of latakia, I like SCTM, Boswell Magnum and Gatlin Cumberland

If I feel like kicking it up a notch I'll go to PS English Oriental Supreme and Beck's OLB

Aloha! John.... :puffy:

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
That's what I am talking about...keep em coming.

We need to know the "must taste" blends that have proven the test of time and

different pipes.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've been smoking a good bit of 7 Seas Royal. A lot like the Captain Black Royal I used to smoke minus the extra PG and bite.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I had read dozens of the hundreds of reviews of Esoterica Tobacciana's Penzance, and found it hard to believe it could possibly be that good.
I was gifted an unopened tin of it a month ago. Sheeeit,....it's BETTER than all the reviews I read!
Tommy is all over this one...that happens to be the most flavor rich, unique tobacco out there, that also changes and mellows out the last 1/2 of the bowl leaving you mesmerized in a state of euphoric bliss. :clap:

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Here's the tobaccoreview.com "Hall of Fame" list.
Hall of Fame Tobaccos

# Blend Brand Reviews Recommendation

1 Edgeworth Sliced Edgeworth 52

2 My Mixture 965 Dunhill 296

3 Original Mixture Sobranie of London 54

4 Presbyterian Mixture William P. Solomon 108

5 Prince Albert Prince Albert 274

6 Three Nuns Original Bell's 100
The only one I've tried is Prince Albert, and for $4.50 a pouch, It's gotta be the best bargain out there.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Lately, I've been smoking and feeding the cellar with

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. Tasty stuff.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Penzance is my #1 all time smoke. #2's are Balkan Sasieni, Sterling Tobacco's 1776 Bostonian, C&D Engine 99 and McClelland Three Oaks Syrian. These suggestions are of course geared to the Latakia lover's smokes.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would take a look at Cornell and Deihl. They have a number of fine blends either tinned or in bulk. Also on the bulk side I would suggest the Middle Earth blends from Just For Him. They do offer a sample of the 5 blends in that series.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
4noggins' Prairie Wind, and Rattray's Hal O'the Wynd for Vapers.

C&D's Haunted Bookshop for American blend / codger Burley-ish smokes.

SG / FVF for Va flake.

McClelland 5100 for red Va. ribbon.

I dunno, there's just too many good ones out there, I feel bad about omitting dozens upon dozens.

TobaccoReviews.com has a search engine that allows searching for 4 star blends. Have at it!

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I would have to say that in my rookie year of pipe smoking, Butternut Burley has been very good and I am going to hopefully make it my first "big order" of one particular brand.
I might be in the vast minority here but, I smoked a bowl of 1Q for the first time yesterday and found it to be somewhat lacking...kind of like drinking a watered-down diet soda at a bar. :?:
I will post my full review of this 1Q after I have about 2 more smokes. Hopefully it will be better and perhaps grow on me like Butternut Burley has. 8)

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I do find the Butternut Burley to be a really nice tobacco myself. Combine a little 1Q with and see how that goes. Try some different ratios. They can be somewhat complimentary.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I really like Sail Regular. Its been consistant in moisture, and provides a nice smoke.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
The most recent home run for me is McCranie's Somerled. I've only had a few bowls but each time it gets better. Cool smoke with a nice lightly sweet taste.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sillems Black a english/aro simply the best treat out there . Other than that there are too many I do like my Rattrays 3Noggins every day though .

Status
Not open for further replies.