PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I was cleaning my latice meerschaum using a soft brush with alcohol and a chip popped out of it. Right at the area where you push the tobacco down to in order to light it. About 1/4 inch from the rim. I was trying to patently remove a cake that hd built up inside it. I don't know what I did wrong.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Meers have flaws too. You may just found it.

It sounds like a piece of the wall "in" the bowl flaked off.

Not the worst place to have a flaw.

I wouldn't worry too much "if" it is inside the bowl.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
It is inside but I love this pipe so, and it has a nice patina coming on as well. It gets smoked alot more than the other 6 pipes I now have. (The pipe thing can be abit addictive. I only had two when I joined.)

The meer smokes so well its clean and dry and the taste of the tobacco really comes through. You can take a long slow draw, and just hold the smoke in you mouth for a long moment, and then just let it roll out on its own. I guess you can tell I like this pipe huh.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You might be able to "glue" the chip back in place using pipe mud, which is a thick mixture of cigar ash and saliva or water. I would imagine you would need to cover the area, press the chip in place, and cover that with more pipe mud. Let it dry for several days, and then use sandpaper to lightly sand aways excess pipe mud. While at first it will look like a patch, over time it should blend in and hardly be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.