PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
First off, I want to say that I am thankful that my fiancee took the time to purchase these for my pipe smoking and stick them in my Christmas stocking. It was very sweet of her. Now that we have that well and established, wow, WOW, were these bad matches! I am not kidding when I say they had about a 30% strike rate. One in three/four matches would actually light, the rest would pop and instantly fizzle out. I didn't realize you could even produce matches this poorly... it's almost impressive in an odd sort of way.

IMG_4505.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly the safety/kill joy brigade have banned 'Strike Anywhere' matches and replaced them with 'Safety Matches' which are about as useful as a chocolate screw driver. I think they have even removed something from 'Safety Match' that used to let you strike them on glass windows. The only thing that seems to function well these days are the sulphur free cigar matches. I have been reliably informed cactus needle matches are really good but I have never come across any in my travels.

Reactions: Bowie and rushx9

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Here are Canadian regulations on matches. Even down to specifying that any ember in the match must stop within three seconds of extinguishing the flame. I don’t know how they manage to sell camping storm matches, as they violate many of these rules.

Maybe there’s a loophole there, where someone can make camping stormproof matches that are actually designed for pipe smokers.

Reactions: anotherbob

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
This is the idea, I have a few match boxes I like that I fill with decent matches, the originals were crap.

I agree it is a good idea, but the box only has a single strike side (for cost reasons I assume) and it was well and spent by the time all was said and done.

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
First off, I want to say that I am thankful that my fiancee took the time to purchase these for my pipe smoking and stick them in my Christmas stocking. It was very sweet of her. Now that we have that well and established, wow, WOW, were these bad matches! I am not kidding when I say they had about a 30% strike rate. One in three/four matches would actually light, the rest would pop and instantly fizzle out. I didn't realize you could even produce matches this poorly... it's almost impressive in an odd sort of way.

View attachment 21798
oh yeah that is what happens when you know the prime market for your matches are people looking for knick knacks to decorate their place on the cheap.

Reactions: BROBS

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
When I first saw the title I thought you were talking about blends haha. I can't use matches because I smoke outside. If anyone was interested in strike anywhere matches though they're sold on amazon and etsy. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem shipping anywhere. They're pretty fun to play with lol.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What is this world coming to? I don't care for matches, but once in awhile, I get a pack of cigarettes. Last time I did, I asked for a book of matches. The lady behind the counter told me that they don't have one! They just sold me a pack of smoke, and now they are telling me they don't have matches for me to light my cig. Then she goes "we got bic."

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
They just sold me a pack of smoke, and now they are telling me they don't have matches for me to light my cig. Then she goes "we got bic."
Yah alot of stores don't carry them to boost their sales on lighters, especially gas stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.