PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminhale

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
Hello everyone,
I joined this forum because I have a very specific question about the history of pipe smoking that I figured somebody on here might be able to answer. I'm a writer, and I'm working on a novel set in the 18th century - in the course of my work, I stumbled across a question that's proved difficult to google. Here it is. Pipes began to become popular in Europe in the 16th century, and they were around in the New World, the Middle East, and many other places before that. However, I'm finding that friction matches and lighters didn't come around until the mid-19th century. So before the mid-1800s, what would an everyday pipe smoker have used to light a pipe?
Any specialized historical knowledge about this would help a lot. Thanks!
Ben

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Howdy mate and welcome;
I read alot, perhaps 2-3 novels per week. Many of my favorite topics are Western History, Pioneer Days, Westward Immigration etc. In those days, much pipe smoking was done at the camp fire only, usually after breakfast and supper for the most part. A burning "brand" or coal was used. But, if the need to smoke did arise and one was in town for instance, many a man lit up at the blacksmith shop. While on the "trail", flint and steel was used for a firestarter but also live coals were carried in somethin akin to a hollowed out deer or sheep horn. These horn were usually lined with a layer of damp moss and several good sized hot coals were put in it before "scattering" the camp fire.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Seems to Me that at one time I read that rope or hemp was lit from a fire pit or stove to light pipes.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Long thin bits of wood, there is a name for them but CRS, splith or some such, were kept handy.

Set afire in the fire place or candle, lamp etc. and then the pipe was lit.
A coal from a fire would also be held against the tobacco.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I believe a taper was used,which is a thin long piece of wood sometimes impregnated with candle wax on one end. The taper would be lit from the fire always burning for warmth and or cooking.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Correct docrx, in England the taper was sometimes called a twitch and a few other names depending on what part of our country you come from , it could also be alighted by a Tinderbox, these were used throughout Europe so most likely in the USA as well.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I know that many a tobacconist of old in London featured a small gas-light which customers and passers-by could light their pipes. I wouldn't be suprised if Public Houses offered the same.

Of course, the classic ember from the fireplace works very well...especially in a 16th century clay!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Flintstones_lighter.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I get silly when I am tired.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Lucifers (matches) have been around a lot longer than most people think. There was a type that was kept in a small glass jar, and when mixed with another chemical (and air) produced flame.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I watch a lot of movies and it looks like they always use something that looks like a little stick. I just rewinded a movie to try to see exactly what this judge was putting in the candle to light his pipe and again it was 4 to 5" little piece of wood which resembled a stick. I am interested to know if that's all it is. In westerns its usually a stick from the camp fire as also mentioned above. If only I could recall which movie I was watching. Good question.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Döbereiner's lamp is a lighter invented in 1823 by the German chemist Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner, the lighter is based on the Fürstenberger lighter and was in production until ca. 1880. In the jar, zinc metal reacts with sulfuricacid to produce hydrogen gas. When a valveisopened, a jet of hydrogen is released and bursts into flame. The ignition is catalyzed by platinum metal.

a little latter but interesting none the less. Let us know whatyou learn.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.