PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
As a New York state resident I have been following this for awhile..... It was brought to the forefront after a NYC establishment was caught circumventing the RYO tobacco laws by packaging it as pipe tobacco.... we all have heard that one before..... They have since shut down as they deemed it "too expensive" to fight in the courts........
This is all too common a problem that is really hurting the pipe tobacco industry!!! Unfortunately in NY the politicians "Tax first and ask questions later"!!!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
This will be the breaking point. If this goes through. All of New York’s Tobacconists will fall.
This country was founded on escaping insane taxes.
Civil War II… Here we come.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Even now, before any new increases, it's finacially unreasonable for me to do tobacco business with B&Ms in my home state. Granted, when I (infrequently) visit Park Lane, Habana or Cupojoes I will buy stuff, but not much. Truthfully, I think that all three are surviving off out of state internet sales, and that is not looking good in the short or long term.

All three businesses sell much more than Pipes and Tobacco, but I can't help but think that tobacco makes up much of each of their respective sales, and profit.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
New York State is the kind of place that digs itself into a hole, makes all of the residents keep digging and then taxes you for shovels and the amount of dirt you move. After an election, they then tell you dig slightly to the side, raise the shovel and dirt tax and then the Legislature pats themselves on the back, gives themselves a pay bump, and then they go on vacation.
To give anyone not from New York a little taste of the sheer idiocy for the New York State Government, here is a nice little story. I work for Cornell University as a horticultural research tech. One of the farmers that we work with told us a story that when the Ag and Market inspectors came to his farm, they wanted to fine him because they saw deer and coyote poop and flocks of wild turkeys all on his farm. They wanted to fine him for the presence of wild animals. And wild birds. Also, on a farm now, dogs aren't allowed in work pick-up trucks. That's a fine too. But I digress.
This is New York State. Keep digging.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
A 2oz tin of pipe tobacco in NYC already costs $18-22–which is why I do all of my shopping elsewhere. Walk around long enough and you will witness NYC’s newest cottage industry–guys selling packs of cigarettes out of their cars or from a plastic bag in the basket of their bicycles. I still try to support esteemed locals like Nat Sherman and Barclay Rex by buying house blends at only slightly inflated prices, but I know they can’t be making the rent with that. The only thing this legislation will do is close legitimate business and legitimize the grey and black markets.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I like Cuomo for some of the thing he's done, but I'll have a hard time voting for him next election if this goes through by his hand.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.