PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I think you have to be of a certain age to get this.

Does anyone remember cigarette or cigar loads? I don't know if these are still made, but I doubt it. They were a small pointed thing about a half an inch long that you shoved into the end of a cigarette or cigar. When lit, after a few seconds it would pop and blow the end of the cigar open. Obviously not to the extent of this cartoon, but it could be funny depending on who you did it to. :rolleyes:

02C3AC9B-D58A-492C-95B8-D81D8644D39E_1_201_a.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think you have to be of a certain age to get this.

Does anyone remember cigarette or cigar loads? I don't know if these are still made, but I doubt it. They were a small pointed thing about a half an inch long that you shoved into the end of a cigarette or cigar. When lit, after a few seconds it would pop and blow the end of the cigar open. Obviously not to the extent of this cartoon, but it could be funny depending on who you did it to. :rolleyes:

View attachment 151223
They can be made with those little exploding caps used in cap guns and other toys. I used to leave a pack of cigarettes in the break room of a place I worked as a teen with each cigarette loaded just to see who the cigarette thieves were. ?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
They are called Cigarette Loads and I’m sure if Jack’s Joke Shop or Adam’s (they used to make all those cheap gag items like soap that turns your hands black and habanero gum) you can still get them.

Put one in my dad’s cigarette and mixed it in the middle of the pack. He was not amused

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I believe that in Spain, there were some explosive vials, which were introduced in the cigarette. I do not remember well, but I remember seeing these scenes very often at parties and discos in the village. It was really funny. I don't really know where these explosive devices were sold, whether in supermarkets or those candy stores and arcades for children and not so children. There were also some vials of a foul liquid, which smelled like rotten eggs. Glass pods that you could burst on the ground. It smelled like fermented sheep manure.

Reactions: kcghost

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That craze was going in maybe the 1930's, before my time, but it carried over into many black and white movies and cartoons that were shown well into the 1950's and 60's and into today. I think product liability would kill them today. Like any explosives, if they are done wrong, someone gets maimed or killed. Having your primo maduro cigar blown to pieces would be bad enough.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
That craze was going in maybe the 1930's, before my time, but it carried over into many black and white movies and cartoons that were shown well into the 1950's and 60's and into today. I think product liability would kill them today. Like any explosives, if they are done wrong, someone gets maimed or killed. Having your primo maduro cigar blown to pieces would be bad enough.
Blowing up maduro cigars is a service to society! They weren't actually like explosions, much smaller than a cap gun pop and just enough power to blow the end of a cigarette up, doesn't take much. Sadly no huge explosion with your hair blown back and face blackened, if that was the case they would still be popular today.

It seems that in the "old days" there were quite a bit stronger than the little silver nitrate loads kids used. There are some interesting urban legends on this page about exploding cigars.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I remember thinking it was just a cartoon thing. Then I found a tin of them in my grandpas amazing junk room (also where I discovered tijuana Bibles). Got a few of them and tried them out and it's certainly not as dramatic as the comic. Never tried it on a cigar but seeing a cigarette go pop is entertaining. However at the price of them these days you might just get hospitalized for trying these out on someone.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I actually some of these back in the 90s in Greece, you could buy them in prank and trick shops. I put some in my dad’s cigarettes but then got scared as I remembered that he smoked while driving, so I told him about it to avoid an accident. Instead of getting angry he commended that it was responsible behaviour and he played a prank with them on his wife.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I forgot about these! I remember buying some in the 80s and pranking my dad. He was a very good sport about it.
I also remember they used to sell these browning plastic tablets to put into cigars and cigarettes as a prank. They were supposed to smell bad but it just smelled like burning plastic and I’m sure it was terrible for your health to inhale the fumes.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I absolutely remember them and I've used them. Remarkably effective and entertaining. I think this was probably through the '70s in the '80s. That was when it was okay to still have fun. I must say the results could be remarkable from time to time. I wish I could find some because that is seriously fun stuff.