Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
So I've seen that many here agree that these things have value in breaking down flakes & plugs. Have a couple of questions...
What is the recommended size? I see then on the Bay from 1" to 2.5". Is this a case where bigger is better?
Do you find that it goes too far in grinding the tobacco down into pieces that are too fine?

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Never used them for tobacco, but you actually have some control over how fine your mix is by how much you turn the grinder in your hands. If you just close the grinder and give it a quarter or half spin, you'll have a much coarser mix than if you make several full rotations.

If I was going to get one, I'd go bigger to either fit a full flake or require as few batches as possible to get a bowl's worth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a small hand grinder my wife gave me one Christmas, and it is just right for flake, coin, plug, rope, or uneven or otherwise unruly blends that don't burn evenly as they are sold. I have a tin of McClellands Dark Star I plan to reduce in cut size to make it burn more evenly as it was/is famous for not doing that. My grinder is very small, so good for the occasional bowl. If your favorite blend requires grinding, an electric spice grinder might be the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.