PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oddfellow

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Celina, OH
deannellis.me
Thought I'd share how I light my pipe, as it works really well for me, and I don't see it used a whole lot. I like to use hemp twine coated with bees wax. I'll wrap it around a cheap pipe nail for convenience.

IMG_6837.jpg

I use a bic lighter to light it, which may seem a bit redundant. It works like a match, but I don't have to wait for the sulfur to burn off and I don't have to worry about the match burning up.

Something small, but I thought it might be worth sharing. Cheers!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I still have the full yarn of hemp I purchased almost 7 years ago for lighting my pipe. I got tired of lighting the lighter real quick, specially when it didn't affect the temperature of the flame so much to prevent tongue burn.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I used to know a guy who did the waxed twine lighter thing.

He was quite a vocal fan, too, until a roll of twine spontaneously combusted in his pocket while driving in heavy traffic at 75 mph... a couple minutes after his crazy girlfriend had tossed a tall glass of straight Bacardi 151 on his shirt and trousers.

When he got out of the hospital a year later, not a word. He just went back to using a long-neck Bic like everyone else.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I used to know a guy who did the waxed twine lighter thing.

He was quite a vocal fan, too, until a roll of twine spontaneously combusted in his pocket while driving in heavy traffic at 75 mph... a couple minutes after his crazy girlfriend had tossed a tall glass of straight Bacardi 151 on his shirt and trousers.

When he got out of the hospital a year later, not a word. He just went back to using a long-neck Bic like everyone else.
I would opine that his problem was NOT the waxed twine, but his crazed girlfriend
Not a good idea having 2 (in)flammable objects in close proximity
🤔

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
The hemp wick replaced matches many years ago and it is my only lighter. I use it with a Flicwic holder (you can google it) which is the perfect holder as you can light it and use with one hand.
The reason I like the hemp wick is it burns very cold (even colder that matches) it resists wind better than anything else (particularly the 2 mm thick ones) you can position the flame better inside the bowl and it is like having an infinite length match. The deal breaker was definitely the flicwic, it is the holder which makes very convenient to use the hemp wick.

Reactions: oddfellow

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I've been using wick for years now. I don't use it for every single light, but often. I currently have 3 'wick on a stick' hemp wick lighters. Just a piece of tree branch with the bark whittled off, a hole drilled at one end for security, and two or three winds of the wick. They double as tampers.WIN_20240726_03_51_43_Pro.jpg