PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FalconForever

Might Stick Around
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
Can anyone help here? This is a pouch of St Bruno tobacco. Bought and opened roughly a year ago. Ever since opening it's rolled up tight in pouch, pouch in ziplock bag, bag in airtight tub.

Last opened around a month ago and had slightly off flavour which I thought was me. Today the pouch smell is slightly different and I was unsure if it has a light grey effect on it. Is it off? Mould do you think?

Am I right in thinking that if tobacco sugars, they appear as crystals on the surface? This seems to my eye dull in look and perhaps a little faded in colour.

Can it be used, rescued or shall it go to compost heap instead....
IMG_20240602_140234104_HDR.jpgIMG_20240602_140238052_HDR.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not an expert and YMMV but St Bruno is I believe sauced with vinegar as a mold retardant which is why it is excellent at rusting out tins! That looks a bit off and if it smells a little Oompa Loompa-ish then it is probably best to just buy a new pouch.

FalconForever

Might Stick Around
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
Thanks for replies. I've tossed it. Couple of others looked a bit pasty too. I'm not going to be cellaring stuff, so lesson learned to buy as I go rather than have too many pouches open. I was trying to find blends I really like, which I've done as opposed to those which were just meh.....

FalconForever

Might Stick Around
Mar 22, 2024
Sussex, England
It looks like st Bruno to me. However, if it smelled off to you or no longer was enjoyable to smoke then you did the right thing regardless of whether it was mould.

Which blends do you like?
St Bruno, Gold Block, Three Nuns, Clan, Condor, Mac Baren Scottish Mixture and Erinmore. Of those, Three Nuns, Erinmore and MBSM are my favourites so far.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Can anyone help here? This is a pouch of St Bruno tobacco. Bought and opened roughly a year ago. Ever since opening it's rolled up tight in pouch, pouch in ziplock bag, bag in airtight tub.

Last opened around a month ago and had slightly off flavour which I thought was me. Today the pouch smell is slightly different and I was unsure if it has a light grey effect on it. Is it off? Mould do you think?

Am I right in thinking that if tobacco sugars, they appear as crystals on the surface? This seems to my eye dull in look and perhaps a little faded in colour.

Can it be used, rescued or shall it go to compost heap instead....
View attachment 314586View attachment 314587
I'd have given it a try, might have been extraordinary and unrepeatable. "It's better to regret things you have done, than things you haven't done", some wise person once said - so long as you live to regret them!