Help Needed, Please:. What are those White Spots?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

72 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Abe Herbaugh Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gcm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2023
Belgium, Flanders
As you see, near the R there is a big white spot. This is new since today, cannot be wiped off.
The stem is dotted with these, less obvious on the other picture. My other ropp also has this since this week. What could this be + how can i remove it? Thanks in advance.
IMG_20240920_152420.jpg

Note: it does not look like oxidation to me.

IMG_20240920_152414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: BrightDarkEyes
I came her to extoll the virtues of Dunhills, but it turns out to be a possible corrupted vulcanite thread. H aha.
It could be wax build up from wax that has heated a little and shifted around. You can't easily wipe off wax, with some scrubby like towel or a buffer. It could be oxygenation, but it doesn't look like any that I've ever seen.
I keep a jewelers polishing cloth on hand after each smoke. I use it to wipe down my stems and keep them polished up. One side of the cloth is usually impregnated with a polishing compound, and the other is impregnated with a microcrystalline wax to prevent oxygenation. But, you may want to hit this one with a dish washing rag, the type that has a little tooth to it. Not a green scrubby though, those wills scratch.

I wouldn't worry about it though. happy smokes.

gcm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2023
Belgium, Flanders
I came her to extoll the virtues of Dunhills, but it turns out to be a possible corrupted vulcanite thread. H aha.
It could be wax build up from wax that has heated a little and shifted around. You can't easily wipe off wax, with some scrubby like towel or a buffer. It could be oxygenation, but it doesn't look like any that I've ever seen.
I keep a jewelers polishing cloth on hand after each smoke. I use it to wipe down my stems and keep them polished up. One side of the cloth is usually impregnated with a polishing compound, and the other is impregnated with a microcrystalline wax to prevent oxygenation. But, you may want to hit this one with a dish washing rag, the type that has a little tooth to it. Not a green scrubby though, those wills scratch.

I wouldn't worry about it though. happy smokes.
Could it be mould? or is this not a thing in vulcanite

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes
The micromesh pads will go all of the way back up to a mirror polish. But, You don't really have to abrade this away too much. You don't want to lose the logo. I would suggest a Jewelry polish cloth, which is cheap off of Amazon or Walmart. Or, any jewelry store would have one also. It would save you a few bucks, unless you have other more oxidized pipes that you are restoring.

gcm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2023
Belgium, Flanders
The micromesh pads will go all of the way back up to a mirror polish. But, You don't really have to abrade this away too much. You don't want to lose the logo. I would suggest a Jewelry polish cloth, which is cheap off of Amazon or Walmart. Or, any jewelry store would have one also. It would save you a few bucks, unless you have other more oxidized pipes that you are restoring.
To be honest, the logo can come off. Its a 50 dollar pipe from ropp that i intend to smoke untill it breaks or burns out. Thanks for the advice on the cloth tho.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Do you have any recommendations on a supplier for the wax? One brand over another? And how do you choose to apply it to the cloth?
It is a tad on the expensive side, but try to find the smallest container of it possible, because it will last a LONG time.
Renaissance Wax, it is what the museums all use to protect metal, wood, paper, and any surface that will oxygenate. Good stuff.

I just rub enough on my fingers like I am about to add a balm to my lips. Then your body heat will loosen it up some. Rub it all over the surface of the stem (I always remove my stems to do this). Set the stem down so that the wax will harden a tad. Then take a clean, soft fibered cloth or old tshirt, and wipe down the surface really well, till it looks like you removed it all, and a tight, air proof, durable, microscopic seal will have been left behind. It is not very good for the briar and will make your tobacco taste like crap if you use it on the briar stummel. It doesn't do much for the polish, so no reason to use it on the stummel either.

Best of luck

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I use Howard’s Butcher Block Conditioner, it’s mineral oil with emulsified beeswax. A couple drops on a little piece of paper towel last all week-I just wipe it on my vulcanite stems after cleaning pipe then rack ‘em.

Obsidian Oil is a doctored up mineral oil, and wax is wax.
I do use Renaissance Wax after I clean up an estate or oxidation, but the Howard’s is my maintenance.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Hard rubber is a tempermental beast and really needs to be protected. Oils and wax help. Its possible that some saliva or something you were drinking cut through the top coating and its beginning to oxidize unevenly. If all else fails (start simple) it you could remove a small layer with fine sandpaper. However, if you dont have a buffing wheel it takes some work to get back the shine.

If you look at the photo closely you can see that the stem where you have your mouth is about the same dull greyish tone when you compare it to the dark part that remains glossy as it gets close to the wood. The best way to deal with all this is to prevent it by keeping your vulcanite protected and sealed.

As Cosmic stated, you can use wax by hand. Its good to maintain the briar as well. A sealed pipe is a cleaner pipe. It does take a bit of extra effort but regular application prevents more intense labor.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It looks like a little mildew formed on the stem where some hand oils or moisture was located. I second the dishrag wiping idea followed by a touch of oil or wax. You could also try a little tooth paste if you want a mild abrasive. Less is more unless you want a full refurbish project.

Reactions: jpmcwjr