PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
All of my pipes have been estates, but I rarely splurg:; I’ve never spent more than maybe $50 per pipe. Recently, I’ve been checking out a few “nicer” estate pieces than what I’ve purchased before, hoping to buy myself a sort of “treat pipe”.

I have a few that have piqued my interest, and I want to share them with you all to see what the consensus is on what’ll be my “best buy”, as I rarely feel like I should spend the extra money on something for myself, and it’s hard enough these days getting me to pull the trigger at the grocery store cash register without questioning my wife on “What do we REALLY need out of this cart?” 😂

So the pipes in question all have very similar attributes, as I’ve not only narrowed down a look/shape I prefer, but I’m also looking for a pipe that will smoke Virginia’s well. All of them are:

-quarter/half bent
-Dublin/chimney shape
-decently long shanks
-partial or full sandblasted
-between 1.”75-2” deep bowls
-between .70”-.85” width bowls, though I think one could be closer to .90”
-prices range up to $125 (I’m okay spending up to $125, but will spend less depending on the pipe)

The pipes are:
-50’s Stanwell Reg’d Deluxe
-Bit later Stanwell (though not quite as old as the Reg’d Deluxe)
-Savinelli Autograph Grade 5
-Savinelli Antica 130KS
-Hilson (Belgium)
-Hilson (Holland)
-Celius Chess “Pawn”

Take a minute to peruse the list, and let me know any feedback you may have or specific questions about some of the pipes I’m interested in.

Again, all of them are quarter-bent to half-bent Dublins or chimneys, partially or fully blasted, around .70”-.85” bowl diameter and about 1.75”-2” deep (though I don’t necessarily need a super deep pipe), in good condition estate pipes under $125.

I’ve done a little digging into past PipeMagazine forums and threads, but I’m curious if the consensus has changed in the past 10 years, or how some of these may stack up against each other. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m probably in the minority in choosing one of the Stanwells over a Savinelli.
They are both very good brands but my preference is reflected in having several Stanwells (all Danish era) vs only 2 Savs.
The older Stanwells (pre-mid ‘70s) tend to have very nice grain.
It is just a personal preference and naught to do with their smokeability

In the end, I’d go with the pipe that appeals most to you.
You will reach out for it more.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’m with Oz on this. I own several older Stanwell pipes and only 2 savs. Most here probably prefer Savaninelli but I have a thing for the older Stanwells- especially those from the reg. era. They look and smoke great and are, in my opinion, as well or better made than most comparably priced estates. I don’t have experience with the other brands you are considering but I suspect you’ll be happy with any of them.

Reactions: OzPiper and kcghost

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I think with an estate pipe, the condition will count for as much as the brand. That said, I personally have had average experiences with Hilson and Stanwell pipes and my Savinelli Autographs (bought new in the 70s) are superior.

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I too would say Savinelli Autograph, with this one you will definitely land on your feet, it is made entirely by hand using their best briar, the same as the Giubileo and Punto Oro.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Even billiards have so many different shapes..for me i tend to diversify and have different size and shapes to compliment mood and occasions puffy puffy puffy
I would say (out of those choices) stanwell regd and those savinellis. again, depending on shapes and size.
Had a Hilson Consul, not for long. nothing special really.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-03 at 23.47.23.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I will collect a few pictures of some of the pipes in consideration.

Regarding meerschaum, I’m not sure about meer, I really haven’t considered that. I’ll think about it.

To note: all the pipes I currently own were purchased as I was getting into pipe smoking, and were chosen solely on either my attraction to them or a deal I couldn’t pass up at the time. I have since locked into loving straight and sometimes lightly cased Virginias, so that’s all I smoke… just different varietals from time to time. So what I’m also looking into for this pipe purchase is a pipe that’ll be my go-to pipe, and will give me a great Virginia smoking experience.

As far as the Sav Autographs, the one I like has a pretty long, but quarter bent shank. Almost like a freehand, quarter bent Canadian; which to me lends itself to Virginia tobaccos. It’s just hard with the Autographs to gauge the bowl width, and my only reservation with the one I’ve found is that it MAY be closer to a .90” width bowl, which I don’t know how that’ll smoke a straight Virginia… I can’t ask the seller, because it’s via eBay and I don’t believe them to be knowledgeable enough to give me an accurate measurement.

I have read former posts about Cosmic’s love for Hilsons, so I’m hoping he’s able to chime in here on the Hilson Stacks I’ve come across.

In regards to the Celsius Chess series pipes I’ve come across, the pipes created by Svend Axel Celius, I’ve noted two different “Pawn” sandblasted pieces I like, and actually one “Knight” smooth freehand/plateau (needs a small amount of resto). These have been noted by former threads to be collectible because of their Danish pipe history as well as wonderful smokability, just don’t know if anyone currently has experience with them.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I don't see much difference in these pipes. You really ought to get off the Stanwell/Savinelli brands and get something that is decent.

You know, I’m really not into specific brands, I just like some of these pipes/shapes and finishes, which is how I compiled this list… just purely based on looks and function (bowl width/height, shank length)

Reactions: kcghost

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
IMG_0346.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpeg
    IMG_0338.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0337.jpeg
    IMG_0337.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I will collect a few pictures of some of the pipes in consideration.

Regarding meerschaum, I’m not sure about meer, I really haven’t considered that. I’ll think about it.

To note: all the pipes I currently own were purchased as I was getting into pipe smoking, and were chosen solely on either my attraction to them or a deal I couldn’t pass up at the time. I have since locked into loving straight and sometimes lightly cased Virginias, so that’s all I smoke… just different varietals from time to time. So what I’m also looking into for this pipe purchase is a pipe that’ll be my go-to pipe, and will give me a great Virginia smoking experience.

As far as the Sav Autographs, the one I like has a pretty long, but quarter bent shank. Almost like a freehand, quarter bent Canadian; which to me lends itself to Virginia tobaccos. It’s just hard with the Autographs to gauge the bowl width, and my only reservation with the one I’ve found is that it MAY be closer to a .90” width bowl, which I don’t know how that’ll smoke a straight Virginia… I can’t ask the seller, because it’s via eBay and I don’t believe them to be knowledgeable enough to give me an accurate measurement.

I have read former posts about Cosmic’s love for Hilsons, so I’m hoping he’s able to chime in here on the Hilson Stacks I’ve come across.

In regards to the Celsius Chess series pipes I’ve come across, the pipes created by Svend Axel Celius, I’ve noted two different “Pawn” sandblasted pieces I like, and actually one “Knight” smooth freehand/plateau (needs a small amount of resto). These have been noted by former threads to be collectible because of their Danish pipe history as well as wonderful smokability, just don’t know if anyone currently has experience with them.
Meers smoke dry, come in all of the classic shapes and there are some real works of art out there as far as. carving and of course the coloring. The other bonus is they are cheaper on the whole than a lot of Briar pipes.
Even if you grab a cheap one to try meer out, you can't go wrong with estate meer.
Grabbed this danish egg for $100 and a lot of my meer that are amazing smokers were much less than 100 bucks.

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 2.39.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-07-01 at 2.39.53 PM.png

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
What would you recommend in the <$125 price range? (either new or estate)
You might want to look at some of Briar Workshop pipes. Elliott Nachwalter had quite a few similar to the ones you’re posting. Might be a little better grain and quality. I would go with the Sav or stanwell if you’re decided on those ones you’ve shared.

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
Horrible photos (not mine). I got this one coming in the next week or so (eBay purchase). I don’t know condition or dimension, but it looks like it needs some elbow grease. It would set you back less than third of your budget.

Attachments

• IMG_3925.jpeg
    IMG_3925.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
looking for a pipe that will smoke Virginia’s well.
Most will do that.

Throw this fellow a reasonable offer, he often accepts.