PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have an Ascorti Business KS that I picked up at a junktique shop a number of years ago. It's a great smoker for me and I've never really given the shape much thought before now. I've examined it under a bright light with a magnifying glass but I don't find a shape number.

I've looked at a number of different pipe shape charts and haven't found anything either.

Any ideas?

ascorti_finished.jpg

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'd almost call it a full-bent Dutch billiard (saddle stem) with a 'chin' a la many Italian pipes (notably Castello 55s). Is it a sitter?

I know some people consider the Hungarian to be a 'full-bent'; I think there's a distinction.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'd almost call it a full-bent Dutch billiard (saddle stem) with a 'chin' a la many Italian pipes (notably Castello 55s). Is it a sitter?

I know some people consider the Hungarian to be a 'full-bent'; I think there's a distinction.
It's close to being a sitter. The bottom is just slightly rounded enough that it won't sit even though it looks like it should.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

That’s an interesting take. I clicked on the thread, looked at the pipe, decided I wasn’t sure of the shape, and left the thread. When I saw someone had replied, I decided to see what was said.

After reading your thoughts, I would say the pipe is closer to a 3/4 Bent—it almost looks like a Peterson 4AB that has had its bottom sawn off and turned into a sitter—the jutting “chin” turns it into something else, though. Maybe this falls under Freehand?

Reactions: jaingorenard

mpjetset

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have an Ascorti Business KS that I picked up at a junktique shop a number of years ago. It's a great smoker for me and I've never really given the shape much thought before now. I've examined it under a bright light with a magnifying glass but I don't find a shape number.

I've looked at a number of different pipe shape charts and haven't found anything either.

Any ideas?

View attachment 320469
Sitter kinda.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I would also call it a full bent sitter, however your saying that there is a slight rounding of the bottom, so it does not sit like a true sitter. Can you provide a pic or two of the bottom of the bowl? I'd like to see what it's like.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Smokingpipes.com called it a Cherrywood: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=598968
004-006-41555.4452.jpg