PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I’m taking up pipe smoking again after 10 years. First time didn’t go so well, but after reading many posts on this site, and the desire I had to try again… here I am! Already learned a lot and sure I will learn more! First 3 things I learned, and trying to get better at…
1) Don’t pack to tightly
2) Don’t puff… sip
3) Don’t smoke tobacco that’s too wet

Both previously and this time around, I started with great smelling Aromatics. Tasted nothing but ash. Thanks to posts from several experienced people on this site, I decided to try Prince Albert and some Prince Andrew. Although not exactly what I was looking for in taste… I actually tasted some flavors that can’t quite put my finger on, but very enjoyable smoke and overall great experience!! I will continue smoking both and get back to some light aromatics, using the 3 things mentioned above, and am hopeful that I’ll notice a big difference! If not, I like the two I’ve had luck with and hoping to get suggestions on other blends that I may enjoy. Thanks for all the good advice!!! Any suggestions on other tobacco, pipes, etc… would be greatly appreciated! I think I’m hooked this time around!🤠

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Welcome from Central Oregon.

Those three things you have learned will greatly benefit you. If the light aromatics do not do it for you, do not think that you would only be stuck with PA. There are many different types of pipe tobacco. You will find one, some, a few, a bunch or even a whole lot of blends that are right up your alley.

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Welcome from Central Oregon.

Those three things you have learned will greatly benefit you. If the light aromatics do not do it for you, do not think that you would only be stuck with PA. There are many different types of pipe tobacco. You will find one, some, a few, a bunch or even a whole lot of blends that are right up your alley.
Any recommendations?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Any recommendations?
I would recommend trying Orlik Golden Sliced. This is a mellow lightly flavored virginia flake. I find it best to dry this flake almost to the point of bone dry.

Another recommendation would be Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. This aromatic allows a bit more tobacco flavor through and is easy to pack and keep lit. I do let this dry a bit before smoking.

A third recommendation would be Peterson Elizabethan mixture. I think this a very fine, easy to smoke virginia/perique blend. I do not dry this tobacco much as I find the tin to have almost a perfect amount of moisture for smoking.

I will add this final thought: These are three of my favorite tobaccos so your milage may very.

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Welcome from Canada!
Two of the top-selling aromatics that I regularly smoke are Lane Limited's 1-Q and Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evenings. They are top sellers for a reason, so definitely worth a try.
I also gave myself tongue bite on the first smoke, so it takes a while for you to really get a proper feel and taste for each tobacco...

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I would recommend trying Orlik Golden Sliced. This is a mellow lightly flavored virginia flake. I find it best to dry this flake almost to the point of bone dry.

Another recommendation would be Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. This aromatic allows a bit more tobacco flavor through and is easy to pack and keep lit. I do let this dry a bit before smoking.

A third recommendation would be Peterson Elizabethan mixture. I think this a very fine, easy to smoke virginia/perique blend. I do not dry this tobacco much as I find the tin to have almost a perfect amount of moisture for smoking.

I will add this final thought: These are three of my favorite tobaccos so your milage may very.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Jndyer… Thank you for taking the time to share some of your favorites. I’ll definitely give them a shot!!

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Welcome from Canada!
Two of the top-selling aromatics that I regularly smoke are Lane Limited's 1-Q and Cornell and Diehl's Autumn Evenings. They are top sellers for a reason, so definitely worth a try.
I also gave myself tongue bite on the first smoke, so it takes a while for you to really get a proper feel and taste for each tobacco...
I just ordered both of the above mentioned tobacco’s 2 days ago! Glad to get your feedback! Looking forward to trying them.

Reactions: Templekeeper

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
I just ordered both of the above mentioned tobacco’s 2 days ago! Glad to get your feedback! Looking forward to trying them.
The very first tobacco I tried I felt something was not quite right. It wasn't smelling like I remembered my uncle's pipe smelling and it didn't taste like I imagined.
These two however, are really what sold me on smoking a pipe. In spite of ordering others to try, I also got myself more of these to make sure I am never without!