PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jdlander

Lurker
Jul 6, 2024
Salem, OR
My first experience with pipe smoking was about 20 years ago. I bought a cheap pipe at a garage sale. I think it was $1. And not knowing anything about anything, and also being poor, I figured that "leaves are leaves," and started by smoking fallen leaves I found in my back yard. They were already dried up, so I crumbled them up into pieces, stuffed them into my pipe, and lit it up!

I am not joking.

It was, of course, the last time I tried smoking...

Until recently...

Now I'm doing it right. And all wrong. A couple months ago I bought some cheap $10 pipes from Amazon and some cheap tobacco from the local gas station. The 16oz bag sold for about $25, and was labeled as "Pipe tobacco." But after doing some research, it appears to be cigarette tobacco sold as "pipe tobacco" to avoid cigarette taxes.

Then I found this forum. And NOW I'm trying to do it right. Currently, I trying to get samples of a bunch of different tobacco blends and styles. I'm working my way through them all, trying to see what I like while not burning my tongue too much each day. I also bought a few cobs, and splurged on a Savinelli Bing's Favorite.

I'm loving the adventure so far! Thanks for all your help and encouragement here on the forum!