PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Hey fellow pipe smokers. I'm a philosophy professor who just recently picked the pipe back up after dabbling a bit many many years ago when I was a summer worker on the PA Turnpike (wow it's been like 25 years). Then it was all Dr Grabow and Captain Black, now I actually like me some mild to bold English, and am fast becoming a (pure) Virginia fan (though the HH MacBaren Pure Virginny makes my lungs hurt, but is so damn good) -- in a fat Peterson. I've spent way too much dough amassing a small tobacco collection and an army of pipes, as I'm trying to find what I like (I find myself about a thousand poorer after a few months ... well, maybe not that much). I am in search of the elusive blends (is Esoterica that good?), the perfect bowls.

In any case, I've been appreciating MuttonChop Piper's heartfelt YouTube posts, along with that southern touch of gentility over at the Pipe Cottage (I'm really impressed with the sense of old Americana over there). So much content for the pipe lover...

Being in SoCal, I have about 1.5 seasons, so I'm gonna miss out on the cold change over I grew up with out East (so that my C&D Autumn Evening will have to be an autumn-ish smoke). I might just have to fly out East during February (my birthday month anyways) to experience a nice smoky pipe and strong drink by the fire.

Right now I'm only about four months into my hobby, so I'm fairly new. My biggest issue right now is the bite, as in tongue bite. I smoke about six or seven bowls per day, starting in the morning with coffee (usually with a mild English -- Pease's Chelsea Morning is absolutely rewarding, and those old Wilke blends are really great -- like No. 193 -- as is the standard Peterson Early Morning Pipe or My Mixture, both excellent morning blends). By bowl four or five I'm already on to the Virginias (MacBaren's amazing PlumCake, or C&D's Virginia Gentleman, or even Bijou), and by the end of the smoking day, I'm feeling bitten out. Suggestions appreciated, as this has been somewhat constant for about the past week or so (and I'm a bit concerned -- is it my cadence? the tobacco rotation, or just the fact that I'm a smoking too much?).

Nice to join the crowd here, and happy piping :)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Frazier Park, CA, just an hour or so north on Interstate 5 from you. Former Angeleno myself, born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, and relatively new to pipe smoking as well (about three and a half years). Looks like you're off to a good start, and you've certainly come to the right place.

Enjoy the journey!

Reactions: MikeCifone

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Thanks man. Great to have found this site. I look forward to milling around...

Love your quotes by the way! Carlin is one of the greats (and of course Lewis).

So what's your favorites blends right now? What are you gravitating towards??

Reactions: Servant King

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Thanks! It should be the land of the Virginia leaf, but I've read that it migrated out towards Europe and much of what we smoke hails from over there. True?

If you like Virginias, what's the best or "purest" in your view? (I'm aware of C&D's master blender's discussion which argues no tobacco is really truly "pure" -- it would be unsmokable was his claim!)

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks man. Great to have found this site. I look forward to milling around...

Love your quotes by the way! Carlin is one of the greats (and of course Lewis).

So what's your favorites blends right now? What are you gravitating towards??
(tip: if you put an @ before typing a member's screen name, the post will show up in their feed.)

Summer is mostly VA and VaPer time for me, with the occasional light aromatic sprinkled in. Been hitting the Sutliff 507-C VA Slices pretty hard lately, likewise Ashton Gold Rush and Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake. But that's a greatly abridged list, mind you! puffy

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hey fellow pipe smokers. I'm a philosophy professor who just recently picked the pipe back up after dabbling a bit many many years ago when I was a summer worker on the PA Turnpike (wow it's been like 25 years). Then it was all Dr Grabow and Captain Black, now I actually like me some mild to bold English, and am fast becoming a (pure) Virginia fan (though the HH MacBaren Pure Virginny makes my lungs hurt, but is so damn good) -- in a fat Peterson. I've spent way too much dough amassing a small tobacco collection and an army of pipes, as I'm trying to find what I like (I find myself about a thousand poorer after a few months ... well, maybe not that much). I am in search of the elusive blends (is Esoterica that good?), the perfect bowls.

In any case, I've been appreciating MuttonChop Piper's heartfelt YouTube posts, along with that southern touch of gentility over at the Pipe Cottage (I'm really impressed with the sense of old Americana over there). So much content for the pipe lover...

Being in SoCal, I have about 1.5 seasons, so I'm gonna miss out on the cold change over I grew up with out East (so that my C&D Autumn Evening will have to be an autumn-ish smoke). I might just have to fly out East during February (my birthday month anyways) to experience a nice smoky pipe and strong drink by the fire.

Right now I'm only about four months into my hobby, so I'm fairly new. My biggest issue right now is the bite, as in tongue bite. I smoke about six or seven bowls per day, starting in the morning with coffee (usually with a mild English -- Pease's Chelsea Morning is absolutely rewarding, and those old Wilke blends are really great -- like No. 193 -- as is the standard Peterson Early Morning Pipe or My Mixture, both excellent morning blends). By bowl four or five I'm already on to the Virginias (MacBaren's amazing PlumCake, or C&D's Virginia Gentleman, or even Bijou), and by the end of the smoking day, I'm feeling bitten out. Suggestions appreciated, as this has been somewhat constant for about the past week or so (and I'm a bit concerned -- is it my cadence? the tobacco rotation, or just the fact that I'm a smoking too much?).

Nice to join the crowd here, and happy piping :)
Welcome from Virginia

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome from The Center Of The Known Universe!

Burbank.

The only clue to the change of seasons in SoCal are women adding an extra square inch of clothing in winter, and removing it in summer.

Tongue bite is often caused by a combination of too fast a cadence, too much moisture in the tobacco, and too dense a pack. Sometimes it's a chemical reaction between a person's body chemistry and the particular blend.

Practice. It's okay for the bowl to go out. Just relight as needed. Experiment with packing density, starting with drizzling some in and a light tamp, and find what works for you with different blends.

Puff a few times to get the bowl lit, then just sip, like you're sipping a scotch. Relight as needed.

Dry down your tobacco, less so with aromatics, but even those are packed with excess water. Too much moisture masks flavors. Again, experiment. Take a blend and try it out straight from the tin, drier and drier, all the way to crumbly dry, and see what works for you with that blend.

Clean your pipe. Wipe out the bowl with a wad of paper toweling after enjoying a bowl or two. Clean out the airway. At the end of a day's use, disassemble and really clean out the airway, including the mortise.

Esoterica tobaccos are unique and generally high quality. But they're not the only game in town by a long shot. When the next Gawith and Hoggarth shipment drops, buy some various blends. That's some excellent Virginia.

US tobacco ain't what it used to be, despite all of the ad copy trying to convince you otherwise in pursuit of emptying your wallet. Other parts of the world, Africa, India, South America, are growing Virginias with much greater character.

Hans Biederman, creator of the HU line of tobaccos, is the most creative blender working today. HU tobaccos have to be ordered from Germany, and you can get them (hopefully) from Esterval's.

In any event, just experiment. Nobody can tell you what will work best for you. This, you get to find out for yourself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Philosophy professor sounds kind of idyllic to me, although having been a faculty spouse for over twenty years, I know the down sides of academe. Still, what could be more fun than sharing a well-loved subject with wave after wave of young people? I doubt that I was ever quite sociable enough for that life, but it sure sounds good.

My standard riff for new pipe smokers includes the following advice. Don't buy a lot of any one blend, even the ones you love. Your tastes will change. Buy in small quantities -- an ounce or two in bulk (baggies), one tin, or pouch. Anything you don't like, jar it and try it again in a year; that will show you, in some cases, how much your tastes do change.

Go easy buying pipes, too. It is a mania. It is highly pleasurable. But it can also be a bad habit. I'd buy one pipe at a time, and shop gradually, think it over, compare, pick one pipe from four or five candidates over several weeks.

Welcome aboard from central North Carolina.

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
@WVOldFart I have indeed gotten a good cadence down ... I seem to instinctually "sip" except at the initial light. I'm breaking in this great unfinished briar I just got from eBay, with some MacBaren PlumCake. With coffee it's divine...IMG_2430.jpg