PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Porch

Lurker
Oct 6, 2019
Long Island, NY
Welcome from central N.C. My wife lived in Ridge, L.I. near Riverhead and Brookhaven and wrote for Newsday for many years before moving down here and marrying me. She also worked for Newsday in Manhattan and kept her apt. in Greenwich Vlg. for many years.
In my mad youth I briefly raced stock cars at Riverhead Raceway.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Briar Porch, when I had a newspaper internship in Neosho Missouri, I spent Saturday nights covering the dirt track races outside town. Boy, that was the nitty-gritty world of auto racing. One Saturday, they had motocross cycle races, mostly young kids, and one kid died...really awful. The racetrack clown was all but sobbing. Other races were full body cars, hot rods, and demolition derby. It was real, as they say. I'm still not quite resolved on a sixteen-year-old dying on a motor bike, but that's what happened.

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

Briar Porch

Lurker
Oct 6, 2019
Long Island, NY
Briar Porch, when I had a newspaper internship in Neosho Missouri, I spent Saturday nights covering the dirt track races outside town. Boy, that was the nitty-gritty world of auto racing. One Saturday, they had motocross cycle races, mostly young kids, and one kid died...really awful. The racetrack clown was all but sobbing. Other races were full body cars, hot rods, and demolition derby. It was real, as they say. I'm still not quite resolved on a sixteen-year-old dying on a motor bike, but that's what happened.
That's just awful. When Dale Earhart died I stopped watching racing for about ten years, I was that effected by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.