Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I was asked to introduce myself and create a new member post. So here I am:)
I am 36, and I discovered my love for pipe smoking two months ago after I separated from a long-term relationship.
For the past several years I have been a very heavy nicotine vaper (E-cigs) On average I was vaping 120+mg of nicotine daily... I chain vaped, I honestly had no idea how much it impacted my cardiovascular until I switched to smoking a pipe.
Compared to smoking cigarettes, my lungs improved tenfold when switching from cigarettes to vaping. This led me to think it wasn't affecting my lungs. Boy was I wrong! I chain vaped. I couldn't go longer than 30 minutes without puffing my face off with 20mg nic salt.
In the past, I also enjoyed nasal snuff and Swedish snus.
I'm an adventurer. I backpack, mountain climb, ice climb, and still bodybuild on occasion but not like I used to. I started running recently, and that's when I was blown away by how much my lungs healed from getting off the vapor.
The first month was rough... I nicked out hardcore and smoked bowl after bowl, after a month things got easier and I started to adjust nicely.
Typing is hard right now. I tore the pulleys in my middle finger rock climbing, so I can only type with one hand. Please bear with me, and the grammar...

To pipes!
I watched tons of YouTube videos and read a lot of posts on this forum when I started to learn.
Sometimes I chimney, especially if I only have 20 minutes to smoke. I'm getting much better at very slowly sipping. I love the breath method and retro-haling. I love the peaceful time to myself when smoking a bowl slowly.
I started with a curved capri and paid $50. it sucks...
I then bought a Peterson 2022 Christmas edition army copper mount (straight pipe)
Then I bought a Peterson 999 aran.
Then I bought a Brigham 2021 POTY
Then I bought a Chicom Jurassic F4
Then I bought a 4th generation 1931 Erik Stokkebye.
I couldn't even tell you my favorite. It changes depending on my mood. They all are awesome for their reasons.
I've tried a lot of tobacco! Living in Canada the taxes are a bitch... I order from 4noggins and so far half of my orders have never been taxed or caught at customs. The orders that were caught were all over 200 grams (only slightly due to my calculation error) 230g was dinged. 240g was dinged etc.

Still learning what tobaccos I like the best.
Morning Cap, and nightcap, and Sherlock Holmes I enjoyed. Golden Virginia is nice. Three nuns is nice. Cascadia Vertical Limit was my favorite due to its odd salty malt-like taste.
Balkan mix, Bengal slices North Star, Beeks lime, Old joe krantz, Peterson Dublin. The list goes on. I'd say I've tried 25-30 blends over the last two months.
I'm keen to place an order for my favorites, but I'll need to take some time to figure out which those are!
I enjoy higher nic blends. But the sweet and honey flavor of the golden Virginia I liked.
I do have a question for you guys. Cheaper pipes, provided they have been machined well, how do they smoke? As you read, all of my pipes are about $200. Other than the Capri that does suck!
I saw a pipe I liked at my tobacco shop. It was super light and felt nice, but it was only $50 Canadian and I get 10% off on top of that being a VIP customer. The shop employee whom I trust, who is knowledgeable about pipes said that it would smoke very hot compared to my other pipes. Is this true? does the briar on cheaper pipes smoke hot?
The pipe is a Lorenzetti Senator Cilo #54. I don't want to buy it if it will be a bad smoke. I just ordered a Peterson lighter and would rather put that $50 towards it and wait until I have money for a more expensive pipe. Savinelli I'd like as I don't have one yet.
What are your thoughts on this Lorenzetti Senator Cilo #4? It will cost me CAD 45 with my discount. Worth it?
This post is all over the place. It's taking me forever with only one hand to use... Sorry guys! I'm used to typing fast, so I'm trying to get through this. The muscle relaxants and painkillers are not helping either.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this less expensive pipe, and whether I should go for it or not. Also, tobacco suggestions if you have any.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to learning lots and contributing what I can.
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Another Canadian! And rock-climber, too!
Welcome!
I injured but didn't tear the same ligament, so I feel you...
Re: your question on cheap pipes, I've got a couple of cheap Muxiang pipes that smoke as well or better than other more expensive ones, so...
traveling-america-greeting-card-toronto-canada-8061_30.jpg