PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J2design

Lurker
May 22, 2022
Arlington, Virginia - USA
Hi all - I'm looking for advice, tooling recommendations, etc. for essentially boring or redrilling a tobacco chamber. Typically, I chamfer the rims and sand the chamber of pipes in a similar state, but I would like to able to widen and true chambers which are in especially bad shape. I have access to a drill press and hand tools, no lathe. I am only interested in widening chambers where there is sufficient briar to reinforce the chamber walls. The pipe pictured has a nearly 1" diameter chamber, so I'm looking for large tooling recommendations for this task. I've looked at spoon bits, chucking reamers, etc. but was curious about others' experiences. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240929_161815.jpg
    20240929_161815.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240929_161837.jpg
    20240929_161837.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 25

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That one is burned pretty bad. It also has a crack. I’ll try and save almost anything. That one would get discarded.
Something I’ve been using for mild out of round and knife hacked inner rims is a $9 cone shaped bracelet stand with the felt taken off and sand paper wrapped around the pointy end. It re-rounds an inner rim really well.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
That one is burned pretty bad. It also has a crack. I’ll try and save almost anything. That one would get discarded.
Something I’ve been using for mild out of round and knife hacked inner rims is a $9 cone shaped bracelet stand with the felt taken off and sand paper wrapped around the pointy end. It re-rounds an inner rim really well.
That's interesting - can you show me a picture of your tool? I'm missing something like that.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive thought about that too on a couple of pipes but my brain could not figure out a way to hold the pipe securely at the proper angle without damage. The out side of the pipe wasnt in bad shape at all.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This. Chucked in a lathe. Of course it takes a little skill to do if the chamber is wider than 3/4”, but I’ve been able to remove material and keep the chamber reasonably round.

It would be nice if you could get something like this in various sizes, but 3/4” is the largest Ive found,

BC2D9524-3565-4925-8899-285E131CB2F8.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
This. Chucked in a lathe. Of course it takes a little skill to do if the chamber is wider than 3/4”, but I’ve been able to remove material and keep the chamber reasonably round.

It would be nice if you could get something like this in various sizes, but 3/4” is the largest Ive found,

View attachment 338977
I don't have a drill press, and I'm not sure I trust myself to do it by hand.
I did find this 7/8" stone, modestly priced:

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That's interesting - can you show me a picture of your tool? I'm missing something like that.
One of these. It's less about getting a bevel than simply enlarging the rim opening. I'm sure there's a mathematical formula for how big a cone needs to be to get a good 45 degree bevel and it must be pretty big.

51qplcWHeFL._AC_SL1005_.jpg

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi all - I'm looking for advice, tooling recommendations, etc. for essentially boring or redrilling a tobacco chamber. Typically, I chamfer the rims and sand the chamber of pipes in a similar state, but I would like to able to widen and true chambers which are in especially bad shape. I have access to a drill press and hand tools, no lathe. I am only interested in widening chambers where there is sufficient briar to reinforce the chamber walls. The pipe pictured has a nearly 1" diameter chamber, so I'm looking for large tooling recommendations for this task. I've looked at spoon bits, chucking reamers, etc. but was curious about others' experiences. Thanks!
If the chamber is already 1" wide, you may not want to enlarge it too much in order to make it round again.

Have you tried smoking this pipe yet, to determine if it's one that you enjoy enough to put in the work?

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
IMG_5887.jpeg
Here are two estate pipes from a similar era. A Vauen Dr. Perl 3288 is on the left and a Vauen Luxus 3284 on the right.

The model number is very close as are the dimensions of these pipes. The 3284 has a shorter bowl height than the 3288.

The 3288 arrived in a barely smoked and nearly new condition and the other was professionally restored.

As you can see, the chamber of the 3284 is considerably larger with much thinner walls. I don’t know if the pipe was periodically over reamed or it was smoked too hot and the burnt briar was taken out with the reaming.

Your pipe doesn’t seem to be as extreme as this example but I can tell you that the smoking characteristics of these pipes are totally different due to the larger chamber and thin walls in the 3284.

Your pipe is a nice shape. I can see why you’d like to restore it. It might be worth considering that it could be a totally different pipe after the restoration whatever you decide to do to it.
IMG_5888.jpeg