PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
The pipe and Tobacco shop on South University is a great place to start. The staff is friendly and knowledgable. The first time I went in I was helped by the owner. He gave me all kinds of samples(of course I ended up buying a pipe from him as well). Do remember that the prices that you encounter in a B&M tore will be quite a bit higher than what you are paying on P&C (I'm pretty sure this has to do with state sales tax and not the owner trying to gouge on prices), they are alomost double that of an online retailer. Feel free to contact me if you are in the Little Rock area, I'd be more than happy to let you sample the tobaccos that I smoke. What are you currently smoking? Do you have a couple of godd pipes in your rotation?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome! Don't be afraid to ask questions - even if they've been asked before. Pipe smoking seems so simple, but it can be quite tricky in the beginning.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
As far as pipes go, I have 2 Stanwells, one is a 507 (I think) poker style that is the black brushed finish and the other is a Bjarne Nielson Tribute B1. From what I have read these are supposedly good smokers... so far for me, they are either going out or getting hot, I can't seem to find the sweet spot. And, I can't seem to be able to smoke the whole bowl, there is always (what I feel to be) quite a bit of doddle left. The thing is it's dry doddle so I'm not sure what's going on.
I have only tried a few blends, Mississippi River, Larry's Blend, Dunhill 965, Sutliff Golden Age, and Russ's Blend- Spring Training. I won't review them but I'll tell you my impressions.

Spring Training- This stuff smells really good to me but tastes nothing like it smells. As a matter of fact I don't taste much at all. Also, I managed to burn my tongue pretty good while smoking.

Mississippi River- Before I opened the tin I was expecting a sweet smelling tobacco like Spring Training (I got them at the same time). First impression was that it stinks... badly. However by the time that I made it through the tin I had grown to enjoy it quite a bit.

Larry's Blend- I've tried it a few times strictly because Jayson Dagner said it was good in a video I watched, I don't enjoy it at all. I guess I just don't like the strong latakia.

965 and Golden Age- You may wonder why I have these two together since they are totally different blends. I enjoy both of them but the problem is I can't tell much difference in the taste.
The trouble with my pipes and the thing with the 965 and Golden Age lead to my joining this forum. That's probably enough for now (I have so many questions and I'm trying to pace myself)!
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I can tell that you've done quite a bit of research concerning tobacco selection and pipe selection. As far as the whole going out or getting too hot situation goes, I have, and still sometimes do experience this. I think it relates to how well the bowl is packed. I smoke alot of flake toboaccos, primarily Orlik Golden Sliced. I find if I dont rub them out properly and load the bowl in stages I will have this problem. I love Mississippi River. As you have clearly experienced, more often than not, the way a tobacco smells in the tin has very little bearing on what the smoke will "taste" like. Often the room note of the smoke will be similar, but not so often the taste. This of course is just all my own opinion for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.