PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I started playing bagpipes when I was 15 or 16. That was winter of 83. Stopped playing for competitions in 2012. I never used hearing protections. I can't feel the music with the damned things in my ears. It's almost impossible to tune the instrument also with them. And none of the older pipers wore one either. Most pipers my age don't care for them. But I remember hearing protections becoming popular and all the young ones using them.

So for the hell of it, looked up how loud GHB (Great Highland Bagpipes) is. They are saying it around 108 - 111 decibel. And any long term exposure of 85 decibel or louder can cause hearing issues. Per some information, that's as loud as pneumatic drill.

I can still hear things rather well. I mean, I did develop selective hearing from my job. Too many bullshit to filter out on daily basis. But per the safe level of noise, I should be deaf as a doorknob. And I'm sure many of those who worked in construction and stuff would be all deaf!

Is it that I'm lucky to have my hearing, or is the society too careful about every little things now days?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I don't know if it's hereditary, but me, my mother, and my brother, we're all kind of deaf. I have this rubbish sound during the day, it's like a cigarra and a humming (cicada or chicharra) sound at the same time. I have to go to the doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullet08

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You naturally lose some hearing by the time you are fifty. After that it is a matter of luck if you make through to the end with some further loss of hearing. There's a reason so many men are wearing some form of hearing assistance now.

Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72