PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
When I encounter a good buy on a large tub or multi-tin deal, I am hesitant to pull the trigger because I fear my tastes/perferences might change.

What I like today, I might find less appealing next month or next year.

Have your tobacco preferences changed or evolved in recent months or recent years?

Did you used to be a burley guy and now you're all about Virginias?

Were into aromatics and now you don't care for them?

Did you once enjoy bold English blends only to discover that in time you wanted a milder smoke?

Is there a standy blend that you keep returning to, as you drift in and out of various tobaccos?

Just wondering if your tastes have changed or remain relatively consistent.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
For me personally, yes. My tastes change from time to time. But I don't worry about buying a tobacco, and then not liking it later. Just put it away for a while. You may want to give it a try again sometime down the rd.

I was just pondering on this a couple nights ago. I was trying some unopened tins I haven't smoked in a number of years. One I used to be partial to was Craven Mixture.

I opened a can and lit up, and to be honest, I didn't really care for it. It tasted familiar, but I had already gotten used to what I smoke now, that it wasn't as great as I thought it used to be.

The same goes for pipes. I used to like larger pipes. Now I find that smaller ones suite me more. Just one of those things, I guess.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
My tastes are all over the board.
While Latakia is my main go to tobaccy, I may grab a Red virginia or Red Virginia w Periques. Then slide a Burley in there for whatever reason and maybe a bowl or 2 of Captain Blabk White. The next time could be Ennerdale Flake of Bob's Chocolate Flake. :?:
For the past week I have had a taste for coffee flavored blends. Why you ask ? Dono, just one of those fun things about this hobby....choices.
My Dad schmoked Sir Walter Raleigh for as long as I was aware, then for whatever reason, He switched to Half & Half. Point is, he did stay with one blend.
So, I would say my tastes change daily / hourly. :puffpipe:

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This is a part of Pipe smoking that many of us experience. As we

evolve, so do our tastes - which is not to say that something old

and familiar will loose it's appeal permanently. Some of it is seasonal,

while other times will see changes like the ones you've described. A

blend that has fallen out of favor will often be 'rediscovered' months

later.

mauro

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
Anche io la penso come fred, credo inoltre che con il passare degli anni fumando aumenti la tolleranza cioè la accettabilità a gusti di tabacco diversi,introducendo il fumatore ad esperienze notevolmente gratificanti :eek:

buona sera a tutti

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
mauro and fred have a good point.
I used to hate burleys, now I really enjoy them. I don't know why I thought they were so one dimensional.
I also started out pipe smoking with aros, moved away from them as I "matured" and now I'm smoking about a 1/3 of my bowls using aros again.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Using the Bing translator, for everyone's benefit, I think Mauro said
Like fred, I also believe that over the years, smoking increases tolerance i.e. acceptability in different tobacco tastes, introducing the smoker to greatly rewarding experiences
Personally, like Patiobum, I'm all over the place with different blends. P.A. is sorta like home base for me, but I'm always falling in and out of love with different tobaccos. I think there is far less brand loyalty in pipe tobacco than in the other types of smoking formats.
So, to answer cornguy's original questions: "Yes!"

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
My tastes change all year long. Sometimes I go on an aromatic kick, other times a Latakia kick, and so on. I don't let my changing tastes ever influence me when I buy tobacco. I know that at one point or another I will be in the mood to smoke it.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I tend to stick with Aromatics but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good english, VaPer, or burley! I would say that currently my taste tends to be all over the board!

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
My tastes change all the time. There are runs and then there are obsessions and it really comes down to how I feel at the time. A run is for a couple days and an obsession lasts months where I find myself buying or smoking anything that even slightly resembles my current crush...hence how I ended up with several ounces of Lancer Slices, stocked and then consumed in record time. By the way, if you enjoy Latakia and VA, get some Lancer Slices. The flavor is almost haunting, then it moves to a level of familiarity to down-right close friendship as you work your way trough a bag or two.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Gosh whatever I feel like .A little of this and little of that . But every day some 3Noggins , there was this one time I thought I did not like it , worst ten minutes of my life .

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I was a dedicated English blend guy for many years. In the past six months I've re-enetered the aromatic arena. With all of the new and exciting blends today it would be a crime not to try something new every month.

In my 40 years of pipe smoking there have never been the variety and quality of blends that there are today. Lucky us.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
As a newbie pipe smoker, I can't say that I have a "taste" yet. Sure I like aromatics, but they aren't my only fancy. Like everyne else, I try whatever sounds like something I like.
-Jason

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I've been deep into latakia blends lately. But as I have some new MacB aros in the mail, that may change for a little while.

So, yeah, I know that for me my tastes (what there are, for me) change. I mean, when I started I thought Largo Log Cabin was good! Ha!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
In my 40 years of pipe smoking there have never been the variety and quality of blends that there are today. Lucky us.
I think that's a powerful statement, PA. And in light of the looming specter of ever-encroaching legislation, this last few years may be regarded as the 'Golden Age' of tobacco.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Every time I buy a new tobacco, I'm hoping that I'll be pleasantly surprised, that my taste will change a little. It's certainly broadened quite a bit since that first pouch.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
My tastes have gone back and forth. This is why my cellar has everything from aromatics to kick ya in the balls latakia blends.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Suppose I will never really settle on just a few tobaccos. I enjoy the experience of having many different blends available and trying them whenever the taste or mode strikes me.

I just purchased seven new one's from 4noggins just an hour ago...

Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (special offer on the Home Page, I'll see how this turns out), Cornell & Bayou Morning, Esoterica Pembroke, Fribourg & Treyer Blackjack, Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic, and two Drugstore blends of Cherry and Sugar Barrel.

These are all very mild, simply just felt like trying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.