Has anyone tried Kingsford charcoal ash for pipe mud?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
I posted this in the sticky above, but I think once folks read it, they don't check it later.
The chemistry lesson in that thread was awesome! But in this hot summer, my fireplace is not getting a workout and I need to make some mud. Will Charcoal ash have a similar makeup to fireplace ash?
Thanks! If I don't get replies, I'll try this in a couple weeks and report my findings.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Definitely let us know how it works out.

Most of the members use tobacco ash I believe.

So, it will be interesting to see how it performs.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I"be used dap Firestove repair cartridge red devil makes some too, it's basically raw material silicate for glass, put it in your caulking gun , it's workable , let it skin, hold up to 1100 regs I built up a old Ascorti freehand, owner had dug a. 1/4 inch depressioN under draft hole, loaded it up smoked hard, left ashes in, loaded it up again and viola no hole smokes great the old cajun

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
I'm going to test this, I want to stick with natural material, either fireplace ash or charcoal ash. The sticky makes it clear that regardless of what people actually use most, fireplace ash is better, and he supports it with experimentation. If I can't determine if the charcoal ash is significantly different, I'll just fire some up next weekend and play with it a bit. I will report back for sure.
I am only going to try natural product ashes, nothing out of a tube from a chemical company.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read what the ingredients used to make charcoal and the ingredients to make the Firestove

Mortar, not much difference , in fact Charcol the self lighting kind has hydrocarbons sprayed on them for ignition, the old cajun

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Thanks for the tip Old Cajun, I have used sodium silicate, aka (waterglass), and activated charcoal ground to a fine dust mixed together like pipe mud. It gets hard as a rock and is fireproof, much like the stove repair. I got this tip from a fellow who repairs pipes. I like the idea of the stove repair because it's already mixed. I would also like to mention that sodium silicate does not cause silicosis, and the only bother would be if you are grinding or sanding it you need to wear safety glasses because it dries hard and clear and will cut you like glass, hence the name waterglass, but it is water soluble before you heat it up.

goldflinger1

Lurker
Aug 6, 2012
I think Kingsford blue bag uses chemicals as a binder and I am not sure I would use it for my pipe. That is why is has the unique smell. Perhaps try a lump charcoal like Royal Oak.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I'm not sure what is best, and I need to do a repair myself... but I WOULD NOT use kingsford charcoal. That stuff has all sorts of crap in it that is not just charcoal...

Status
Not open for further replies.