PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Just finished smoking my Boswell Canadian full of Mcclelland Honeydew Flake a bit ago. After it cooled I went to cleaning, and now have about 10 dirty pipe cleaners sitting here. I've also alcohol cleaned most of my pipes in the past week and a half. It's helping bring out a lot more flavors than my previous 2-3 pipe cleaners, but going to have to up the pipe cleaner budget now. I also got some bristled cleaners for the first time. I'm really happy with them. Thanks for the cleaning tips Harris. I just thought I was OCD with cleaning before. Look what you've done to me...

B

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I actually look forward to deep cleaning my pipes, it's almost more relaxing than the smoke! If you're using 10 pipe cleaners between every smoke you are doing something wrong though but hey, if you enjoy it who am I to tell you otherwise?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With pipe cleaning, it sort of takes what it takes. Normally 2-3 tapered wired cleaners do the job on the shank and 2-3 regular alcohol dipped wires take care of the stem and bit. A few times a year I scrub out the shank with an alcohol dipped shank brush or tapered wired cleaners. But some pipes give up their dirt with more effort than others. A Spanu that I have regularly uses more cleaners than do other pipes to get to a point where the cleaner comes out clean. And pipes with a wider draft need more cleaners than some of my older estates.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I am reminded of a Dilbert cartoon. He asked Dogbert if it was wrong to enjoy cleaning your ears with Q-tips. When he got a negative answer, he replied, "Good. I just used half the box."
Winton

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I kept going until the cleaners came out clean, not just a little off color, flat out clean. Granted this canadian will fit 2 cleaners side by side through the shank, so it takes more.
Roth, don't get me wrong on the alcohol. I'm only using it to deep clean every 10-15 bowls. But it had been some time since my pipes had seen it, so I've been going through them all one by one.
Hanglow, just because I uses 10 pipe cleaners it doesn't add up how that means I'm "doing something wrong"?

B

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just saw this thread, glad I could be of help. I am pretty fastidious when it comes to my pipes being clean, I figure if I am going to spend good money on tobacco, I want it to taste as good as it can. A dirty pipe will kill flavor more than any type of poor technique.
I buy all my pipe cleaners from PC. Here are the ones I buy, I usually place an order for 10-15 packages at a time.
http://pipesandcigars.com/bjlotapicl.html#.UmBVDVCUT38

http://pipesandcigars.com/bjlobrpicl8b.html#.UmBVK1CUT38

Status
Not open for further replies.