PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I love jazz. I like hard bop—especially the Hubbard album mentioned in the linked article. Lately I lean more towards this mystical strain of cool jazz—I don’t know what the sub-genre is called—but Charles Lloyd, , some yusef lateef, Chico Hamilton, Jimmie giuffre—dreamy stuff that often features flute solos.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Advice yeah keep going. Jazz is a great genre and Hard Bop is a great sub genre. Though with Jazz I also have the same recommendation as I do with pipe blends. Get into an album or two and listen to them hard and often. There is enough going on to keep it fresh at least in the stuff I like. You know you've listened to an album enough when you can at least idea the track # and album it's off of from the first three notes.

Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
It's my experience that Bop is generally easier to understand compared to the later "modal" jazz. The Bop forms (chord progressions) are more closely related to the blues (e.g., I-IV-V) whereas later jazz is less structured or just harmonically more complicated. For this reason I often play Bop (from the 40's and early 50's for example) for listeners who do not have a long history with jazz.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
It's my experience that Bop is generally easier to understand compared to the later "modal" jazz. The Bop forms (chord progressions) are more closely related to the blues (e.g., I-IV-V) whereas later jazz is less structured or just harmonically more complicated. For this reason I often play Bop (from the 40's and early 50's for example) for listeners who do not have a long history with jazz.
And then there's Miles.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
My jam for relaxing background music is....um.....a.....Mexican guitar?......Spanish guitar?.......im not sure but its fantastic.
No singing, just smooth acoustic picking. :)