Sep 13, 2017
My latest "hatchet job" becomes a hammer:

VtyyMEU.jpg

AFZfQbU.jpg

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Ken. Tempting, but... jnshr raised an important question: "durability"
I've been testing a small rotation of a pipes, that I've smoked both easy and hard. Hard meaning successive bowls and smoked until hot without allowing time to cool/dry. My concern is that the nodes are not of the same composition as with the side walls. They are softer/weaker and prone to burn through. The follow example is a bowl with nice cake forming, the second image is the plug removed to reveal the underside of the air chamber. You can see charring of the node wall, but intact.
ItyA0uq.jpg

IQg1Ksn.jpg

Then next image is the result of the node when purposefully smoked hard and kept hot for one month, and it's cracked, and burning through:
Tvh14hr.jpg

I do not have long term experience with briar. I do know of and have seen example of cracked and burned bowls from misuse. I also read up on some folks whom take care of their pipes and admit that they can last decades.
The alternative? I have to reinforce the node wall. Maybe a use a disk of briar or oak, or even drop in a briar bowl? Thus the bamboo becomes a style thing. Instead of a root stem, it could be entirely primitive look, with briar benefits.
Otherwise, full disclosure is certain and buyers would have to be aware of this, that this is not a daily smoker, etc.
I don't remember many of my engineering jobs being this much fun. :)

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
What about covering the node with plaster of paris before drilling through it? Just a thought.
Does the bamboo flavor the smoke? I remember bamboo having a distinctive smell even when it's cool.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Ryeguy. I will attempt the plaster. I understand that it's used on the exterior of cobs, and then coated with clear paint or shellac to prevent crumbling. That's something I need to avoid in the burn chamber.
Does the bamboo flavor the smoke? I remember bamboo having a distinctive smell even when it's cool.
Not when it's fully cured/dried. It's a common rule to fully cure, and dry out bamboo for least a few weeks prior to any use, construction or otherwise. I have a pieces that nearly a year old, and the are a deep brown. I shudder when I see DIY on line whom build and smoke it while still fresh and green.
I general avoid bamboo that is mottled with mold, invaded by pest (such as powder post beetles), and cracked. I will pre-cure the bamboo with good run of a propane torch to force the resins onto the surface and run the water out, then allow it to sit for a few weeks.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thanks, Craig. That article is exactly what I need. I'm thinking a wood plug would be more acceptable. I already plug the smoke chamber with willow, (it's soft and yields to the bamboo when tapped in). Will have to experiment with oak. Stop by the hardware store and get a few dowels of it this weekend. A longer term test is needed for the side walls. So far they are holding up.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I see several options. The wood plug of course. A meerschaum plug. Pipe mud. A Briar plug. A screen.
The screen option would allow cleaning of the lower bowl if that ever became necessary. Plugging the bottom with wood, putting the stem in the side of the bowl (ala 'normal' pipe) would eliminate the node issue too.
Keep at it. You will win this and have a hit, a new Dunhill empire grows! :worship:

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
All good options, Ken. I like options. I like having the smoke chamber as reverse calabash in the same tube, so to speak. It does keep thing cooler by not involving the stem at the source of the heat and there's less sucking up ashes and debris, as well, (even negating the need for a filter).
Currently, you can remove the plug by running a short length of wire from a metal coat hanger, through one of the holes in the node, to pop out the plug. Wipe it clean and gently tap it back in, via the edges, to reseal. There was little debris, but my concern is mold and a simple, monthly cleaning should suffice.
I hope to "win" some Dunhills as well. :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've not seen any pipes as daring as yours in both material and design. If you want to sell them, durability and containing the taste from the bamboo might be issues.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
saltedplug. Bamboo has a taste? Do you have an experience? Was it cured or still green? Maybe you'd like to try one? Cover the shipping and I'll send you one.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Can't even give them away. :rofl:
Kidding aside, I've owned a business and work in marketing and media. On a more serious note, this is a dog. A few bucks to made on eBay for a sandwich. They take about an hour to make, and until I solve the node burning issue, are disposable or are to be regarded as a curious novelty.
Still, I really do like them, even after rotating in some briars. So, I'll continue the craft in hobby mode before it owns me and my family, a second mortgage and maybe a divorce.
Now I can focus on more subtle niceties, such as tobacco blending, growing and whatnot. I also plan to cut a freehand from a briar block. Of course it will be a monstrosity that only I could appreciate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.