PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on growing my own tobacco? I don't have an allotment or garden, and am planning on growing a couple of plants on my parents' balcony (lots of sun, protection from rain), but don't know what seeds to start with or where to get them (in the UK), and when is the best time to plant etc.
-What variety should I plant?
-What soil fertilizaer do I need?
-What kind of 'plant pot' would be most suitable?

My Dad used to be a tobacco farmer, but that was centuries ago. He can at least remember how to string it up and cure it though! We'll probably have to air cure the leaves and press them with some bricks (or I can just sit on them)

Thanks!

A

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips on growing my own tobacco? I don't have an allotment or garden, and am planning on growing a couple of plants on my parents' balcony (lots of sun, protection from rain), but don't know what seeds to start with or where to get them (in the UK), and when is the best time to plant etc.
-What variety should I plant?
-What soil fertilizaer do I need?
-What kind of 'plant pot' would be most suitable?

My Dad used to be a tobacco farmer, but that was centuries ago. He can at least remember how to string it up and cure it though! We'll probably have to air cure the leaves and press them with some bricks (or I can just sit on them)

Thanks!

A
Goggle for “grow your own tobacco in UK”, you’ll find a lot of information.

Reactions: simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Interesting. There used to be a lot of plantations in Gloucestershire, centuries ago when it all kicked off in the famous ‘Tobacco Wars’.
I think the Irish had a better & longer lasting tobacco growing industry.
I’d Google what leaf suited our climate the best & go from there.
Good luck & keep us posted.👍

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would make some suggestions, but I’m just not familiar with your location. If it meets your zone, Cherry Red can be either flue cured or air cured and is good both ways. It’s a good one to start with. But, I’m not sure about growing in pots. Maybe try an oriental. Keep in mind that orientals usually like very poor or sandy soil.
How much tobacco does one full size plant make?

For a pipesmoker, it doesn't make very much, maybe an oz or a few, depending on the variety. We tend to just use the bottom leaves. The higher you go, the more harsh it gets on the throat and higher the nicotine kick. It's just not as enjoyable. But, I have made a few blends for myself that use these.

Reactions: didimauw

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I use an average of 100g per plant after processing. As cosmic says it depends on what you grow. I use the whole plant, and have also been experimenting with harvesting the tiny winter regrowth the following year. These leaves are tiny and would be one small bowl’s worth, including the stem. What’s most interesting is the floral flavours coming through

OP check out fairtradetobacco.com and there will be some good general growing advice as well as stuff specific to the mother land.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Thanks for the help goes, I will check the links and take it from there. At the moment it's an experiment to see if I can pull it off - I will increase 'production' when I know what the hell I am doing!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I hope you have greener thumbs than I :rolleyes:
Dave (@Ahi Ka was kind enough to send me seeds some time ago.
Abject failure - didn't germinate despite (or was it because of) my diligent ministrations.
I can only put this down to me.

My wife bans me from any active gardening chores.
I'm only allowed to prune under her direct supervision :(

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I hope you have greener thumbs than I :rolleyes:
Dave (@Ahi Ka was kind enough to send me seeds some time ago.
Abject failure - didn't germinate despite (or was it because of) my diligent ministrations.
I can only put this down to me.

My wife bans me from any active gardening chores.
I'm only allowed to prune under her direct supervision :(

That's good to know and a good reminder - my other half has a habit of bringing sudden doom to things of a plant variety!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper