PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kento

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello fellow lunters. I started smoking a pipe on August 7, 2024. Yes, you read that correctly. I am a newborn babe to this hobby. I am 53 years old, and I live with my wife and two cats in New Brunswick, Canada. I had been thinking about taking up the pipe for about a year before I actually did so. I have watched a number of videos by Dr. Alan Harrelson and Muttonchop Piper to educate myself on the basics before taking the plunge. My first pipe was a standard looking bent pipe. I struggled for a couple days to keep it lit, but I think I finally got the hang of it. LOL! I also bought a corn cob pipe which is my current favourite. I was shocked to see that after two uses with this pipe, the stem separated from the bowl, and was quite badly burnt. A friend reassured me that this is quite normal for that type of pipe. I would welcome any feedback on this point. I leave you with this bit of humourous advice: If you find yourself speaking like a fool, just stick a pipe in your gob. Have a great day everyone. I look forward to chatting with many of you soon.

Kento

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome from Richmond Virginia 🇺🇸 View attachment 329912
Great photo.

I have a question for you folks in the USA.

I paid $52 for a 50g pouch of tobacco. I have seen many videos where people pay less than $10 for a pouch that looks similar size.

I know the taxes on tobacco products in this country are ridiculous, and I know you probably don't use grams; but if you do the conversion, what is the cost of a similar size pouch in your area?

Also, pouch or tin, which is better? Is it strictly personal preference?

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Great photo.

I have a question for you folks in the USA.

I paid $52 for a 50g pouch of tobacco. I have seen many videos where people pay less than $10 for a pouch that looks similar size.

I know the taxes on tobacco products in this country are ridiculous, and I know you probably don't use grams; but if you do the conversion, what is the cost of a similar size pouch in your area?

Also, pouch or tin, which is better? Is it strictly personal preference?
Most if not all Tins and Pouches are in grams usually 50 g or 100 g
US bulk is by the Ounce.
Normal Tins in the States are approx 12.00$ US to 20.00$ US depending on the brand or blend. Most House blends at a local shop or online are running
5-6$ US per ounce.
There are several members here from Canada who swap-sell and meet up and keep each other going while shaving some of the cost and availability issues. Hang around, get acclimated to the forums, check out the What are you smoking and For Sale Forums as well. In any event welcome aboard and in the words of Hunter S. Thompson “ Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride!
Pipes I think you will find enjoyable and even more so up in your area with this fall weather soon to come.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

1723568290959.png

Please put your location in your Profile!

How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

Kento

Lurker
Aug 13, 2024
New Brunswick, Canada
Most if not all Tins and Pouches are in grams usually 50 g or 100 g
US bulk is by the Ounce.
Normal Tins in the States are approx 12.00$ US to 20.00$ US depending on the brand or blend. Most House blends at a local shop or online are running
5-6$ US per ounce.
There are several members here from Canada who swap-sell and meet up and keep each other going while shaving some of the cost and availability issues. Hang around, get acclimated to the forums, check out the What are you smoking and For Sale Forums as well. In any event welcome aboard and in the words of Hunter S. Thompson “ Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride!
Pipes I think you will find enjoyable and even more so up in your area with this fall weather soon to come.
Your feedback is much appreciated. I am looking forward to Autumn.