PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Greetings from Alaska! I’ve been taking advantage of the wealth of information on this web site for quite a while so I decided to sign up for an account to say thank you and maybe contribute a bit to the amazing information here.

I have been smoking a pipe casually (always outside, a couple of times a week to once a month depending on the weather, my schedule, etc.) for 30 years. I smoked cigars before the pipe but gave up those once my kids were born; they love the pipe smell and hate the cigars.

I’ll try to post a picture of my pipe collection. They’re mostly from my dad. He’s passed away for some time now but his pipes are a cherished keepsake to me. In fact, everything in the photo is from my dad’s stuff except the whiskey flask, two pipes and three lighters.

I’ll happily write later about growing up in a pipe-smoker’s house, filled with what are now known as codger tobacco smells and drug store pipes, but for now, greetings and thanks for having such a great on-line resource for pipe smokers.

Sincerely,

Joe H

Attachments

• Pipe Nook.jpg
    Pipe Nook.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 26

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. If that Edgeworth Ready Rubbed still has tobacco in it, make sure to really enjoy a great tobacco. I smoke the Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed frequently. Good to have you with us.

Reactions: Joe H

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Thanks for the welcomes. Yes indeed the Edgeworth packet does have tobacco – heck, it’s still in shrink wrap. It’s got a price tag on it indicating dad paid a whole two bits for it back in the day (60s or 70s). I’ve rehydrated lots of dad’s Middleton’s Cherry (probably a favorite of his), some of his old Bond Street and Mixture #79. This may well get used but I do see that there are current Edgeworth clones available. There’s a good pipe shop in Anchorage and the owner has been working up some clones of old codger blends that are pretty impressive. I’d support him whenever possible because even with local taxes, it’s great to have a local pipe Shop.

Reactions: warren

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Thanks! Smart choice! I’m in the “banana belt” as well: Anchorage. I used to travel to Fairbanks for work a lot – I’m retired now – it’s too cold up there in Winter and too hot in Summer. They did have a good tobacco shop up there for a while though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
What a nice surprise! My wife and I honeymooned in Tasmania. Almost bought a house in Hobart, still may depending on where the kids go to college (my wife is a dual US/Australian citizen). We spent the last Christmas holidays up in Brisbane with her parents. I must say the AQIS guys were mighty nice (no import fees) about the pipe tobacco I declared upon entry. Thanks again to all for the gracious welcomes.

• Love
Reactions: VDL_Piper

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Welcome! I grew up in Anchorage, left after I graduated from West in 1996. My folks are still up there (arrived in 1972) and my wife and two sons and I visit every other year, most recently this past August.

Ever spend any time at Pete’s Tobacco Shop? Pete Switzer was my original tobacco mentor, I first went to see him when the shop was in Mountain View and then later on at the downtown location too.

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Much appreciation for all of the warm welcomes! Tfdickerson, I missed out on Pete’s Tobacco Shop when it was in Mountain View, but I bought cigars from them once they moved to 5th Avenue. I mostly used to buy cigars at the various Tobacco Chache stores in the 70s when I was in high school because they didn’t tend to check IDs. You gotta love the old days!

Reactions: tfdickson

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Much appreciation for all of the warm welcomes! Tfdickerson, I missed out on Pete’s Tobacco Shop when it was in Mountain View, but I bought cigars from them once they moved to 5th Avenue. I mostly used to buy cigars at the various Tobacco Chache stores in the 70s when I was in high school because they didn’t tend to check IDs. You gotta love the old days!

Yeah Pete was more of a cash on the barrel head vs an ID kind of guy. Bought my first box of cigars from him just after I got my drivers license, Punch Pitas.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
What a nice surprise! My wife and I honeymooned in Tasmania. Almost bought a house in Hobart, still may depending on where the kids go to college (my wife is a dual US/Australian citizen). We spent the last Christmas holidays up in Brisbane with her parents. I must say the AQIS guys were mighty nice (no import fees) about the pipe tobacco I declared upon entry. Thanks again to all for the gracious welcomes.
Small world Joe. Brisbane is a nice city but getting quite busy now, Hobart is more my style and laid back and Tassie isn't a bad spot to honeymoon that's for sure. Chat along the way mate and enjoy those puffypuffypuffy