PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Philip Chapman Lesh, the bassist for the Grateful Dead died today at the age of 84. Mr. Lesh was born on March 15, 1940 in Berkeley, California, and originally played violin from the age of eight through the Berkeley High School. At the College of San Mateo he played trumpet. While working at Berkeley Public Radio station KPFA as a recording engineer he met Jerry Garcia, then a bluegrass banjo player, and the rest is history.

It's interesting to note that when he joined the Grateful Dead he had never before played bass, and literally learned on the job, That proved to be a blessing for he had no preconceived notions regarding "traditional" bass rhythms and roles, allowing the development of his unique style.

Here's a link to one of my favorite Lesh compositions which appeared on the Grateful Dead's From The Mars Hotel album.

Rest in peace, Sir!

Last edited:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
My brother introduced me to the Dead when I was eleven in the early 1970 with American Beauty. Had my first record player. Then I read Phil Lesh on the cover the first time. Ah yes, also for me Box of Rain was one of the songs spinning in my mind since then.