PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
Hey! Do you guys grab tobacco to smoke daily from your aging jars? Does it kills the aging process? I was wondering this because I don’t know where to get my tobacco now for daily use. Does tobacco ages in tins or should I open the tin for cellaring tobacco

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
When I open a jar that has some age it goes into my rotation of blends I smoke daily. If it was in a tin it is jarred upon opening and added to the daily rotation.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You just asked the question in one of your other threads on jars. See above, answers there as well.

Patience.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
My oldest jars are about 4 years old. If I feel like smoking from one, I'll open the jar. Otherwise, they are undisturbed. I have about 3-dozen jars going at any one time.

Sometimes I want a lot of variety, and sometimes I want to sit with a blend and go through a jar.

If you have sealed tins, leave them alone until you're ready to pop the tin.

Reactions: Samuel Perez

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I had gone through two old cans of Granger that were bulging. They were especially good! You are asking a valid question. I’m fond of using the 64 ounce mason jars because I can press a full pound of tobacco into one of those. But when it comes time to open I will immediately transfer half of the contents into a 32 ounce jar or several smaller jars and put the other half in rotation. A half pound takes a while and it could possibly lose something to the time opened.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hey! Do you guys grab tobacco to smoke daily from your aging jars? Does it kills the aging process? I was wondering this because I don’t know where to get my tobacco now for daily use. Does tobacco ages in tins or should I open the tin for cellaring tobacco
Opening a jar doesn’t “kill” the aging process. It interrupts it, and may change the result, whatever that is, but kill it? No
Tobaccos age in tins, though seals on tins can fail over time. The question is how long do you intend to age it.
It’s a myth that aging improves tobaccos. Tobaccos change over time. Whether that change constitutes an improvement is up to the individual to decide.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I can't see how it wouldn't. Every time you introduce oxygen into a sealed container, it's going to change the product within. I guess you could argue that it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd prefer to allow the tobacco to age undisturbed. There is no doubt that the jar of 2021 Cringle Flake I've been smoking has far less of the yummy stewed fruit characteristics than it once had now that I've been dipping into it over and over. If I am cellaring a bunch, I have started using both a large and small mason jar. The large for the bulk of the product and the small one that I go to on a regular basis. This prevents me opening the larger one too often. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• Jars.jpg
    Jars.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
To answer your questions in order:

1. Yes.
2. It slows it down, but does not stop it entirely. But I don't care. The jars are to keep it fresh. The aging is a bonus.
3. They age in tins. However, and this is something I always get pushback on, many tins are crappily made and I wouldn't trust them to age tobacco over a long period. I place my baccy in a jar with a good seal (e.g. Parfait jars) as soon as I can. If you place the baccy in a jar, keep it out of direct sunlight and try to keep them somewhere that isn't humid and at room tempature or just slightly below.