PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imrandy

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
This it the problem i like this pipe but on closer inspection and me pulling paper out. This is what i found wrond there is paper and foil to bulk up threads to tighten up the stem to shank (not sure on proper name) i looks like the threads are to small for the shank or it may be the wrong thread
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

i got both of these for cheap was trying to think how to fix this so i can enjoy it without the thought of it falling apart while smoking it

photo.jpg

imrandy

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
That bottom one is my go to pipe :puffy: i picked the set up to give one to a friend and keep one for myself and the strait was to go to him and i was to keep the other but im rethinking it now he may get a briar now lol

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I would look for someone to replace the tenon, I had the same problem (loose fitting tenon) with one of my meers and had it sent off to a local repairman that the owner of the local pipe shop recommended. it cost me about $15 and took about a day to get it back, well worth it in my book. i was so impressed that i send another meer for a replacement stem. This meer is over 100 years old and the original stem was amber and fragile. He made a nearly perfect replica out of lucite.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Your pipe needs a new set of fittings, if there's any thread left in the mortise. Meers with push-pull ( like a regular briar ) tenons need to have the stem taken out and the fittings cleaned every couple smokes if they have the plastic fittings otherwise the dried baccy juice will bind them. Looks like what happened to your pipe and someone Bubba-ed it with the tin foil.
Here's what you need
http://www.tobacco-barn.com/p-4049-stem-fitting-mortise-for-medium-regular-deluxe-special-meerschaum-pipes.aspx
http://www.tobacco-barn.com/p-11914-meerschaum-pipe-tenon-for-medium-regular-deluxe-special-meerschaum-pipes.aspx
Fairly easy to replace, need pliers and a rag, possibly some alcohol to soak the stem in if the tenon piece is stuck. Patience is a virtue when doing this one.

imrandy

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
Not a bad idea will have to ask around only one shop in my town that sells pipes and cigars so may not get anywhere but cant hurt to ask.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
P.S. I would not take that pipe apart anymore or the threads inside the mortise will wear out, which would make it near impossible, or not very cost effective rather, to repair....

Status
Not open for further replies.