Good Thing Syrian Latakia is No Longer a Thing.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Seems like the only country not in active warfare right now is the U.S. That shouldn't last too much longer as we are always ways will to drug into somebodies' conflict or other,

Reactions: bullet08

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Syrian no longer exists. Tobacco is still grown in Syria, but because it can't be cured to make Latakia, leaf destined for that purpose is instead sent to Cyprus. In Syria, farmers used to grow a leaf known as Shekk-el-Bint specifically for Latakia production, and then cured it in their own barns.

The Syrian version hasn't been made in more than a dozen years due to governmental restrictions, and with the unrest in the region, even if the restrictions were lifted, it would be unlikely that they would start production again.

Cyprian Latakia differs from Syrian Latakia in several fundamental ways: The process of sun-curing, the type of material used for fumigation, details during and after fumigation, and if the processor intends to go through fermentation.

I also seem to recall a special wood from a tree that was only local to that region was used and those trees were completely wiped out that's the main problem.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Syrian no longer exists. Tobacco is still grown in Syria, but because it can't be cured to make Latakia, leaf destined for that purpose is instead sent to Cyprus. In Syria, farmers used to grow a leaf known as Shekk-el-Bint specifically for Latakia production, and then cured it in their own barns.

The Syrian version hasn't been made in more than a dozen years due to governmental restrictions, and with the unrest in the region, even if the restrictions were lifted, it would be unlikely that they would start production again.

Cyprian Latakia differs from Syrian Latakia in several fundamental ways: The process of sun-curing, the type of material used for fumigation, details during and after fumigation, and if the processor intends to go through fermentation.

I also seem to recall a special wood from a tree that was only local to that region was used and those trees were completely wiped out that's the main problem.
I can understand that certain resources or materials can't be the same (like the wood you mentioned) but I wonder why the process is different.

Reactions: bullet08