PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
Hello there gents,

I want to invest in an English blend that is readily available in the UK. Can anybody offer any suggestions for good first English blends? Also I was thinking of getting myself a corn cob specifically for English Blends, thoughts on this?

Feel free to tell me what your first English blend was !

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
I cannot help you much on the blends because I am still experimenting and trying new ones, but I definitely recommend getting at least one cob. They smoke very well, they don't really build a cake to affect the flavor or taste of future tobaccos and if for some reason something happened to it, you are only out about $5 USD.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Not sure what all is available to you in the UK, but one of my first English blends was Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. I would imagine that is readily available there.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Not being familiar with what you have access to, and from my past experience I will second Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It would be a good choice even if availability and selection was not an issue.
:puffpipe:

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
Well 2 recommendations for Dunhill Early Morning Pipe seems to be a good start. I know that's definitely available to me here in England.

All of them

This amused me more than it should have.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I would suggest Balkan Sasieni. It is by far the cheapest out of the tinned tobacco and is easily in my top 5 everyday blends.

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
Right then. I'm ordering myself a Missouri Meerschaum 'Missouri Pride' and a tin of Early Morning Pipe. Thanks for all of the help folks! Have a good evening.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Early morning is a little bit lighter for my taste, much better mixture 965 or if available nightcup.But my actual preferred tobacco in english mixture is c.a.o. midnight ride

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
My EMP has arrived now and the smell has definitely grown on me. I'm just waiting for my MM cob or my clay pipe to arrive and I'll give it a good first run :)

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks Jud, I'll keep that in mind. I may order a tin tonight. May it be on your head though :wink:

Jul 15, 2011
I think 4 noggins ships worldwide. If they do, their Chipman Hill is a mighty tasty English blend. I dont know if you can get ahold of Pirate Kake where you are, but that stuff is damn tasty as well.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
May get different opinions,but sure like Middletons Walnut for a starter............

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Another vote for Petersons Old Dublin, good way to ease into the style. Available everywhere here in the UK too! Alot of the above suggestions aren't unfortunately. I can't really reccommend Dunhill Early Morning Pipe though - I found it to be bland and ashy, and just a bit boring really. Maybe it'll grow me. Samual Gawiths Squadron Leader is good once aged/dried, I found it developed a nice nuttiness and a bit more character. Next on my list is St. Bruno RR or Flake. Supposed to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.