PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I found this little gem of a B&M via google maps while I was looking for one in my area. It's a classic tiny shoppe on a tiny downtown street with a lot of "I remember when..." feel to it.

The owner is a friendly likable guy named Nate. He specializes in cigars, but does carry an assortment of tinned pipe tobaccos, fresh pipes, tools, lighters, and various other accessories.

The shop is quite atmospheric with movie posters, memorabilia and other unique items filling the nooks and crannies. He's even got a life size "good fella" doll standing watch at the tobacco counter.there's something interesting to see practically everywhere you look.

The shop also sports a cozy lounge area with nice padded leather recliners and a TV.The large chromed ashtrays are actually usable, yep you can smoke in this shop :) . There's also 8 cabinet style classic arcade games.No , not the large ones from decades past, but the newer smaller ones :( . The older full size ones are pretty much unobtainable now and even if you could get them, the logic boards and other working parts are long ago discontinued.None the less, a very nice touch for those of us that were in our teens during the 80's.

I didn't have a look through his stock of pipes, as I had gone there to peruse the tinned tobaccos, so I can't comment on what he has in stock.A quick glance over I saw a few nice meerschaums and several dark wood and rusticated offerings.I'll be going back to have a look at his available meerschaums after Christmas.

To my surprise he had several Dunhill branded tins in his display cabinet, along with several Esoterica blends that just came in a few days ago.So I grabbed a tin of Dunhill "Mixture 965" a Dunhill "Dark Flake", an Esoterica "And so to bed" and "Tilbury", and a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced.Nate threw in a few boxes of wooden stick matches :) .

Not sure I'll open the tins of Dunhill seeing as they now unicorns,but the Esoterica and Orlik are going to get popped sometime in the next 2 weeks.I'm off on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so I'll have a little time to try out these new to me blends.I also have it on good authority that santa is bringing me a fresh BriarWorks C101 (author) for Christmas.

They are located on Merchant street in downtown Decatur Illinois.I'm looking forward to returning to this little shop again.

Attachments

• 20191221_162735.jpg
    20191221_162735.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I forgot to mention that there is a candy shop next door that makes handmade candies and treats.I stopped in and got a rice crispy treat that was covered in milk chocolate that was nearly the size of a red brick used to build schools and other buildings with.I also got 3 peanut butter cups that were the size of the average coffee cup rim(palm size to me) and about 2 inches tall.

All in all, a very good day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I forgot to mention that there is a candy shop next door that makes handmade candies and treats.I stopped in and got a rice crispy treat that was covered in milk chocolate that was nearly the size of a red brick used to build schools and other buildings with.I also got 3 peanut butter cups that were the size of the average coffee cup rim(palm size to me) and about 2 inches tall.

All in all, a very good day.
what kind of fairy tale place do you live?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and DavidT

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I know right, first I find sealed tins of Dunhill, then I go next door and find candy confections I used to dream about when I was 10 years old.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are you an "Eighter from Decatur"? That's an expression I heard in my youth (farm country 80 miles S of Chicago.) I never learned what it means! Can you enlighten?

Welcome to the forum.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Are you an "Eighter from Decatur"? That's an expression I heard in my youth (farm country 80 miles S of Chicago.) I never learned what it means! Can you enlighten?

Welcome to the forum.
Merriam Webster states:
Definition of eighter from Decatur
slang
: the throw of eight in craps

If you Google "Eighter from Decatur", it seems to be a popular phrase in Decatur, Texas also.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and DavidT
Status
Not open for further replies.