PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm the pipe smoker in my social group. None of my various friends and acquaintances are ready to take the plunge into owning a pipe (save one) and I was thinking about getting a half pound or pound of a fairly inexpensive but good tobacco. I've been leaning heavily towards Lane 1Q, especially since I've never tried it, but, do you all have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Collin

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I think you'll have better luck getting one of your friends take the plunge if you concentrate on the aromatics for now because that's as close as you can draw them in for now.Baby steps."Captain Black White" would sure give others a run for there money.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think Lane 1Q, or RLP-6 would be good to start them off with. Captain Black is just another line of Lane products so White, Royal, or Gold would also be perfect!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I've got my humidor jar of 1Q ready for the unlikely event that such things take place... but what's the polite way to offer a smoke to a non-pipe smoker?
"May I offer you a bowl of 1Q?"
"I don't have a pipe, you idiot."
Is the solution to keep a few pristine cobs around? A few restored estate pipes "on the shelf" for just such an emergency?
Just curious.
Simon

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
The people I offer to are mostly my close friends, so I just offer them my secondary pipe (which was my first pipe, conversely) and ask if they would like a smoke, or they come up and ask if I want to have a smoke with them. Which is pretty much code for, "can I bum some tobacco and a pipe off you?" I'm happy to do it, every smoke makes them that much more likely to take the plunge, but this is depleting my stores faster than I would like! Of course, I would rather my stores not deplete, but my enjoyment of smoking keeps that from happening...

I think I'll grab some of the 1Q, or maybe the 7 Seas, since I've yet to have a bad experience with a Mac B. tobacco.

Of course, I'm actually going to be picking up a few cheap, cheap cobs today, because I'm having a bunch of friends over this coming Sunday night, and don't want anyone to be left out!

Thanks for all the help,

Collin

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Stokkebye's Aroma Dutch Slices is a good choice, it's mild enough for a new smoker but still has good flavor. It's also very affordable:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/stokkebye/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=46799

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I just had this blend today that I stole from smokingpipes.com's blog. The actual formula they use is 10.5oz. McClelland Pasty to 5.5oz McClelland Eastern Carolina Ribbon, but you could tweak it how you wish. Its a nice, light, sweet taste that I'm enjoying currently. I think most any beginner would love the taste as well and get no tongue bite.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Just got back, couldn't find ANY of the suggested tobaccos, so I suppose I'll just let my private stores get beaten one last time, this Sunday. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.