Going for another... can I go wrong with an AKB, Meerqueen, imp, or Altinok?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My first Meerschaum didn't work out for me... a few years ago... it was a Storient. It was beautiful, but draw was off etc...
I want to add a Meerschaum to my rotation. I have as much as $250 to spend on this pipe... less is fine too ;-)
Can I go wrong buying an Altinok, Meerqueen, IMP/WGM, AKB? With Meerschaums, I feel so brand conscious. I want it to be a beautiful pipe that lasts a long time.
Any advice?

Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO, the problem with many meerschaum pipes is the restricted draw. This is because of the screw-in push-on nylon tenon/mortise system.

Make sure your new pipe has a briar-type tenon and mortise and the draw should be fine -- or at least correctable.
Avoid this tenon/mortise system: notice how tiny the draft hole is...

SFT-3-1.jpg

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Im also in the market for a meer but fear buying one without seeing it in person. I want a simple smooth pipe, no fancy carvings

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Yeah... no fancy carvings for me either. I want generous bowled billiard or Dublin with a 1/4 to 1/8 bend... It's just so difficult to understand the Meers.
On Smokingpipes... I don't understand the pricing of the AKB's. You'll see an intricately carved Meer in the $175-$200 range... and then you'll see a rather plain, smooth one for $300... stem and size don't seem to be the factor... so what is? What makes this pipe $100 more than the others etc?
I just want to get one good one. By all accounts, it must be a good smoker.
Aside from it's unique smoking characteristics, the thing that's cool about a meer is the long term relationship you can have with the pipe and how the color transforms through the years as you smoke it. I want one that will hold up over time and smoke well.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
@lasttango

You can go with our diamond series.they have briar type teflon tenon connection with acrylic stem.if we do not have stock that you want we can carve your own design
Bahadir

Status
Not open for further replies.