PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
Smoking a 2013 version out of a clay right now. It's subtle even when young, and the sweetness seems to mellow with age. I find that any 100% Virginia with age becomes easier to smoke, but harder to tease out flavor, and this is no exception. The upside is that if you have the patience varying your cadence unlocks different flavors but you have to "chase the ghost". Light sipping still gives some grass and honey, slightly deeper and and there is some nice toast/bread notes, a little more than that you get a slight spice and light molasses but keep it up and I think there might be regret :) . I like it, and am glad I aged some, but it's not an easy every day smoke and you need to know the pipe you smoke it from and how to pack it. Like a lot of Virginia's I find a tall narrow bowl helps bring out the flavors and the second half is where it really starts to open up.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Here's a pic of Union Square from 2014 (left) and 2019 (right). I find the change in taste over five years to be at least as dramatic as the change in color. To my primitive palate, the 2014 has not only lost all the rough edges and sugary grassiness, but has gained a considerable amount of really deep, sweet fruitiness and breadiness. It also has a different range of what I perceive as spice notes. It's the same tobacco, sure, but it tastes and smokes very differently.

View attachment 25129
Thanks for the comparison pic!

Status
Not open for further replies.