PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
This is pretty much old news, but there apparently are a few enthusiasts out there that are in the dark about this dead giveaway. HSA has never released authentic Cuban cigars packed in any type of glass top box.
I have a friend who annually goes on vacation to Cabo in Mexico and enthusiastically brings back as many as allowed of these glass top box gems. He says they're the best Cubans he's ever smoked. Go figure. Friends have attempted to enlighten him, to no avail. He's convinced that he is a superb negotiator, ultimately bargaining the sellers down from a start of around $18 to $20 to $6 per stick. And that's another thing - HSA shops don't negotiate - the price is the price.
Keep smoking, my friends! ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I saw more fake Cubans in the DR than I did in Cuba. When I was in Cuba in 2000 the scam was having Cuban Davidoff's and stuff like Bolivar Gold Medals made for who ever was dumb enough to buy them.

These fakes were made by a manager at a very prominent factory. I got a private tour of the Cohiba factory as it is not open to the general public. What I saw made me sick. The rollers couldn't have cared less if their cigars were all plugged. The place was a mess and there was no quality control that I could see.

A few months earlier I had spent 3 days with Carlos Fuente in the DR and his operation was impressive. Quality control is what he is all about and it comes out in all his cigars. The man was a fanatic on quality. . Even in the box factory he was a nut. One of his refrigerated warehouses had hundreds of bales of 1984 Cameroon wrapper, it was an amazing site.
The rolling rooms were like hospital wings with how clean they were.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have bought the glass top knowing full well that they were fakes. I actually kind of liked the box and I got it thinking the cigars would be throw away or, at best, lawn mowing cigars. I was surprised to discover that, the cigars were actually from Cuban leaf. They were obviously not made by the greatest torceador but, the flavor was not half-ass bad. They were as good as some of the machine made Cubans that I have smoked. All this was about 20 years ago. The cigars are long since smoked. I wonder if I have that old box somewhere?:rolleyes:

Reactions: BROBS

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I work with a gentleman that has 3 full tower humidors filled with glass topped boxes. Sees it as an investment... who am I to ruin his fun lol I’m sure the beetles will do that for him.
seriously though I would be hesitant to smoke one as improperly cured leaf can make you a bit sick, not to mention it might just be floor sweepings.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I recently smoked an authentic Cuban Cohiba and it tasted like a bag of ass. On the other hand, I smoked an authentic Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey and it was one of the most wonderful cigars I have ever smoked!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I recently smoked an authentic Cuban Cohiba and it tasted like a bag of ass. On the other hand, I smoked an authentic Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey and it was one of the most wonderful cigars I have ever smoked!

How certain are you of the authenticity? I've thousands of Cubans and hundreds of Cohibas. One of the finest cigars on the planet.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
How certain are you of the authenticity? I've thousands of Cubans and hundreds of Cohibas. One of the finest cigars on the planet.
I guess not 100% certain... but I paid 40 bucks for it at a store in the Caribbean... total ripoff, but I had never had a real Cuban before. But... who knows, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.