PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
While I would prefer to stick with mainly briar pipes (as far as my week of experience has shown), I personally know a glass blower who would probably make a pipe for me for cheap (or even free). Already knowing I have a penchant for collecting things anyway, I was wondering how good/bad a glass pipe would be for tobacco, and maybe if there were any specific instructions I could give my friend if I decide to commission a pipe?

I tried searching the forum for a topic that addressed this, so if I missed it, linking me to the post would be great!

Thanks!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm going to say.... Even if you did get one made.... It would look like it was intended for "something else"
And if you were to TRY to smoke tobacco out of it you would not get the same smoking experience. I would imagine it would get SERIOUSLY way too hot to hold for one. Just my 2 Abraham Lincolns.
P.S. Welcome to the forums! Always nice to see another Lady on here.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
Hell yeah, An ash tray with pipe rest and a pipe cleaner holder and a tamper holder. maybe can make you a really cool glass tamper too.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been interested in clay pipes. I'm kind of a history nut, civil war era, nautical kind of stuff. I have found a few makers of clay pipes and am interested in the simple designs not the fancy ones. you might look at these links? I have never ordered from these places and have no info on them other than the links. I found them looking at reenactment supplies.
http://www.pipeshoppe.com/
this is the one I have been interested in since I am cheap and they are in the USA
http://www.sanctuarytraders.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=35
I have seen a post from from a company in England on in this forum. Since you are new to the pipe world you might also look into meershaum pipes. I have had them in the past(small ones for smoking leafy greens) and am interested in a full size one for tobacco.

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
I once read a post on another forum where an elderly gent, intrigued by glass pipes, tried to smoke pipe toby out of one. It got super hot, and the smoke was also super hot on the poor fellow's mouth. Bad idea.
I think it's funny to imagine an older gentleman wandering into a place that sells glass pipes, inspecting them, and purchasing one.
On the other hand - I totally agree that a custom ash tray with pipe rest, maybe an integrated pipe cleaner holder, or pipe tamper would be awesome. Hell, if he is up to it, I bet he could get a lot of business on the pipe forums. It's very difficult to find a true pipe ash tray - and there's a nich to be filled there!
Imagine getting a pipe with a cool acrylic stem that matched the glass... oh no, PAD arising...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sure go ahead and get one made . Do not call me when the drug dogs go through your car and the cops rip off your door panels and destroy your dash board . :rofl:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Reserve the glass for smoking pot. I've tried tobacco in my own glass, and although a startlingly clarified smoke, it was ultimately unpleasurable in the extreme. There is some mystical alchemy that occurs in briar, corncob, meerschaum or clay that tempers a tobacco, not to mention it's impossible to control the temperature adequately to keep it alight in glass.

Now glass tampers, there's something you could make a cottage business out of.
@buster--Are you thinking of Dawnmist clay pipes? They're brill!

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
I'll see if I can get him started up on that!

I'll have to get a hold of a clay and Meerschaum pipe (especially Meerschaum since I live in Missouri (it's my duty!)). Unfortunately, the three I bought were barely in my spending limit for the next few weeks, and I have a few other loves that I don't want to neglect as well... May have to wait until Christmas. =P

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Remember that the reason most people use glass pipes is because they are smoking for a chemical delivery system and not for taste/comfort in their smoke. This is why your head shop pipes have carbs on them to cool things down (I know some old Kaywoodies have them too but it was an experimental thing, I think).
I actually pondered the same thing not too long ago and came to the same conclusion.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
SMS Meers are very good. I had a I.M.P. Meer and was a great smoker but heavy. The SMS is light and smokes great and is rather cheap in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.