PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Quiet Nights is an odd one for me: I wouldn't rate it very highly, but it's one that I specifically crave. It's that sour smokiness all the way through that makes it unique for me.

Good discussion thread, QN was getting dangerously close to being a end you can't criticize.

I am dumb, I don't know why I wrote Quiet Nights. Please disregard lol.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I went into this blend with high hopes but after every smoke this just strikes me as yet another medium English blend. I don't get the heavy latakia others have. It seems Latakia light to me. The Oriental spiciness comes through nicely but without any variance while the Virginia's just seem to hold it together in a beigne fashion. I prefer a richer, more full flavored English. It's not bad, it's just not notable in anyway. Let me put it this way, I'll finish out the tin because its not bad enough to throw away but I wouldn't buy it again.
I do agree with your review. Opened a Tin last night...It's not bad and better then Spark Plug...Once I finish this that's it for Gaslight.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I gave away my Gaslight unopened when I wanted to send a friend a blend. It's Lat bomb reputation didn't entice me, and neither does this middling English blend report. I like GLP Haddo's Delight. I think I tend more toward C&D, D&R, and other blends I've routed out. But GLP blends are unique and sophisticated. I think maybe I'm unique but not so sophisticated.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I do agree there's a lot of repetition, but compare something like BlackHouse versus Ratray's Red Rapparee and you'll see how different English blends can be. It's not just about the percentage of latikia--even though that's usually the first thing you'll notice. It's also about the sweetness or dryness of the VA and flavors of orientals involved. There's a lot of great flavors to be found in different English/Balkan blends once you look past the latikia.

I'm smoking a lot of GLP Meridian lately and it's a nice contrast to Westminster which had been my go to for a while. The differences are there... you just have to dig a bit.
I have to agree. Every English I've smoked (which isn't very many at all) has been pretty noticeably unique. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.