PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
This is an incredibly savory and tasty flake tobacco.

”Comprising a mixture of matured Red Virginias, Flue-cured Virginias, Turkish Latakia, and Oriental leaf, all pressed and sliced into flakes, Horizons boasts a sophisticated flavor profile that admirably balances rich smokiness with a gentle sweetness and an enticing spice.”

The above website description is very accurate. From the minute i opened the tin, I could tell this one was for me. After three bowls, I feel comfortable in saying it is the best of GLP’s “Zeitgiest Series.” The savory, rich barbecue flavor from these flakes is exactly what I look for in a blend. It was eating a good meal at a New York steakhouse.

Attachments

• IMG_8930.png
    IMG_8930.png
    516.6 KB · Views: 3

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Pease always does an incredible job of producing some of the tastiest blends on the market in my opinion. I am ago one or two weeks from trying some of the blends myself. Only things that are holding me currently holding me back are the current blends I have open and the dental extraction I had the day "Horizon" arrived.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
The Dark Lord has risen. I ordered a new pipe couple tins of Horizons yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Mike N

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I'm really curious about this one, but I want to ask: how does it compare to Quiet Nights?
I like them both for different reasons, Id say QN is more your traditional English Blend while HZ has a different profile because of the Turkish Lat.

I find it to be a bit more floral but I was getting some dessert like notes from the bowl I smoked last night, delicious. It might be too much Latakia for some people (if you dont like latakia) but I wouldnt call it a Lat bomb. Id say its pretty well balanced honestly. Certainly worth checking out if you like English blends, even more so since its not Limited.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
English/Balkan blends have just been piling up in my cellar while I mostly smoke other things, so I've been sitting back and watching the reactions before pulling the trigger on this one.

This has different spices as a flavoring where as Quiet Nights has a red wine/tonquin flavor. I believe Quiet Nights has more Red Virginias as well. You can really taste the allspice in Horizons and it is a fuller blend than Quiet Nights.

So that's been on my mind -- are these references to "warming spices" sly reveals that those flavors are added via a casing/topping, or just "wine tasting" kinds of descriptions that Shane is a little prone to? ;)

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Casings and topping flavors for sure. It has a little cocoa and cherry along with clove too. No, I am not just ripping off someone else’s description, it really does have those notes to it. I think Quiet Nights is the better blend due to the clove in Horizons- a little off putting to me, but I can see some really enjoying Horizons and maybe favoring it. Also, the non descript reds in Quiet Nights are better, perhaps it’s just because there are more used. C&D has some pretty good reds anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Casings and topping flavors for sure. It has a little cocoa and cherry along with clove too. No, I am not just ripping off someone else’s description, it really does have those notes to it. I think Quiet Nights is the better blend due to the clove in Horizons- a little off putting to me, but I can see some really enjoying Horizons and maybe favoring it. Also, the non descript reds in Quiet Nights are better, perhaps it’s just because there are more used. C&D has some pretty good reds anyway.
Oh gosh, wasn't accusing you of anything. Thanks for the details, really appreciate it.