PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Boognish

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Maine
This is my first post and this is my first "nice" piece of briar. I currently smoke a Grabow and a MM cob. My girlfriend gave me this (Don Gustavo?) That she picked up from a B&M as a gift. Upon checking out the rustication (I like it) I immediately saw what I thought was a crack. I didn't want to say anything and detract from the moment. Once the I removed the stem the crack was clear as daylight. How is this usually handled? Every smoking related shop I've ever been to is all sales final. I have to call them tomorrow and see if they're willing to do anything. I also tried to Google search the maker but got nowhere. Not even listed on pipepedia. Maybe I'm misreading the name? Does anyone have any info on this maker? Maybe advise on dealing with the B&M? Kinda bummed because I do like how it looks.IMG_3871.jpgIMG_3872.jpgIMG_3881.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is my first post and this is my first "nice" piece of briar. I currently smoke a Grabow and a MM cob. My girlfriend gave me this (Don Gustavo?) That she picked up from a B&M as a gift. Upon checking out the rustication (I like it) I immediately saw what I thought was a crack. I didn't want to say anything and detract from the moment. Once the I removed the stem the crack was clear as daylight. How is this usually handled? Every smoking related shop I've ever been to is all sales final. I have to call them tomorrow and see if they're willing to do anything. I also tried to Google search the maker but got nowhere. Not even listed on pipepedia. Maybe I'm misreading the name? Does anyone have any info on this maker? Maybe advise on dealing with the B&M? Kinda bummed because I do like how it looks.View attachment 74026View attachment 74028View attachment 74027
I would just go in there with it if possible and show them.. and explain it was like that when you opened the gift. Even if they don’t believe you... in person it will be harder for them to say no.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Yeah I agree with Brobs. Explain the situation don't dramatize it and most places should at least offer a replacement pipe. Ask your girlfriend what the guy looked like. Most tobacco shops have the same people working there. They'll know the truth cause very few woman go to tobacco shops. Goodluck.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Ya I would go to the shop in person. if you end up having to keep the pipe it can be repaired(either professionally or by yourself) I have some pipes with a crack there and I used some waxed thread tied around the shank which has held up well for many smokes. but your pipe is definitely not something that's worth paying full price for.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you haven't smoked out of it, I don't see much problem. They might not refund the money, but any reputable shop should either replace or give you a store credit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr