PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2024
I was talking to a prominent pipe maker/tobacconist recently as I enjoyed a cigar in his lounge. This guy has been in the business for over 40 years so when he talks I listen. We got on to the subject of ghosting and he said it is very over exaggerated! His comment...smoke what you like out of any pipe. You might pick up hints of a previous smoke but it is so subtle it doesn't matter. He said he smokes aromatics, english blends and virginias all in the same pipe and it has never affected the quality of the smoke. What are your thoughts?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I would say it all depends on what you are smoking. As mentioned lakelands...if you smoke virginia or vapers in lakeland ghosted pipe its just weird. It is distracing more than unpleasant but its not a distraction I want. If you want the most out of each smoke its best to at least segregate your extreme blends from the others. Different pipe smokers take it to different lengths.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It's only an issue if it's not your ghost. Most of 2022-2023 I smoked a single pipe, I've added a second into the mix earlier this year and I bounce back between VA and aromatic blends regularly. Even the occasional latakia blend. None of it bothers me.

However I do have an estate that I use from time to time that came with some type of lakeland or codger ghost from decades past and it's still ghosted after a cleaning, sanding, a dozen alcohol treatments, new stem and smoking my own aromatics/latakia blends through it. Still irks me because it's not my preferred ghosts.

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
To me some ghosting is sickening, if I don't like the tobacco that did the ghosting. If it's a tobacco I like, it's not really a big deal to me, it doesn't last that long.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I’m usually not too concerned though I have pipes dedicated to different styles of blends.

I will say tho that I smoke Warhorse Bar only out of a cob. That stuff is tasty but very intense lol

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Do try a Lakeland blend to see for yourself 😏

Ghosting matters to some.
I have pipes for aromatics, Latakia/Oriental blends and Virginia/VaPers

But not all feel the same way. Some go so far as to say it adds something to the next tobacco they smoke.
Yes, I consider it a bonus! I don't dedicate any of my pipes to any particular kinds of blends. The past is always present in my pipes!

Reactions: OzPiper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was talking to a prominent pipe maker/tobacconist recently as I enjoyed a cigar in his lounge. This guy has been in the business for over 40 years so when he talks I listen. We got on to the subject of ghosting and he said it is very over exaggerated! His comment...smoke what you like out of any pipe. You might pick up hints of a previous smoke but it is so subtle it doesn't matter. He said he smokes aromatics, english blends and virginias all in the same pipe and it has never affected the quality of the smoke. What are your thoughts?
Not everyone has the same sensitivity of taste, so it may not be as big a deal for people with a less developed palate. 40 years of experience doesn’t apply. We’re born with what we’re born with.

Latakia is a particularly strong ghost, so it’s always present in a pipe where it’s been smoked.

I don’t want that flavor when I’m smoking a pure Virginia blend. Others don’t care. But if you want to enjoy the flavors and nuances of a particular blend, and have the ability to taste them, ghosts are an issue.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I could see where it could be a big deal to those with refined palates, broad likes of tobacco genres, and more organized minds than myself.

I don’t continue to smoke or buy blends I don’t like, or buy blends of genres I’ve found I don’t like so the incidence of ghosting hasn’t been a problem for me (yet).

Additionally, the investment in the pipe itself would probably matter. I have very few pipes that I’ve got more than $100 in, and most came at under $50, so if one gets a funk that really bothers me (hasn’t happened yet) it wouldn’t be a soul-crushing experience. I couldn’t imagine spending the money many of y’all do and having that pipe be anything but wonderful every time, all the time.

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This guy is a riot! A some guy he knows has been smoking 40 years and he coronates him with the Wisdom of Solomon. Hey, buddy, I've been smoking 55+ years and I'm telling you ghosting exists. So, are you going to tell that guy he's a noobie or give me a great crown of wisdom? Ghosting is a problem if you have any kind of sensitive palate. Some ghosts don't pose any problems others do.