PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I recently picked this pipe up and the refresh was rather simple but the stem did give me troubles.
I tried Nature's Solvent (spit), Barkeepers Friend, Hot Soap and Water, and Everclear. None of those worked, at all.
The only thing that worked? Acetone, or in this case, nail polish remover.

s-l1600.jpg

18575398-orig.jpg

18575397-orig.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I clean them with an over night soak in lemon juice then finish with a bristle pipe cleaner and whitening toothpaste.

Reactions: donjgiles

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for you. I'd be leary, not knowing the chemistry of specific plastics and what might cloud or discolor them, but it sounds like you got it right. As a footnote, the latest paper catalog from Iwan Ries, a former sponsor anyway, shows a half page or so of new GBD pipes I hadn't seen before with them, at moderate prices, for those who like English pipes but not always the prices.

Reactions: Elric and donjgiles

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I recently picked this pipe up and the refresh was rather simple but the stem did give me troubles.
I tried Nature's Solvent (spit), Barkeepers Friend, Hot Soap and Water, and Everclear. None of those worked, at all.
The only thing that worked? Acetone, or in this case, nail polish remover.

s-l1600.jpg

18575398-orig.jpg

18575397-orig.jpg
On my next perspex stem I'm trying that.?

Reactions: donjgiles

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Once I had the airway clean, which happened relatively quickly, I immediately rinsed the stem with water and worked a water soaked pipe cleaner through to get all the nail polish remover out of the airway as quickly as possible.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yikes, just read that acetone can dissolve acrylic products like perspex or lucite over time!

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I am joking, of course.
But I do think the key is to remove any residual acetone as quickly as possible. I would not recommend letting the acetone soak at all, it cleans very quickly! Cold water flush, water soaked pipe cleaner, more cold water flush and all will be well.

Reactions: scloyd

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Looks good, will try it. I‘ve used Soft Scrub with a bristle pipe cleaner, but it takes a while.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2016
I have posted previously that the old Smokers Haven (the leading seller of GBD Perspex stems ever) formula of 50% IPA and 50% acetone applied by running a pipe cleaner soaked in the solution through the stem works. The evaporation is virtually instantaneous, no need to rinse. Don’t believe me? Try it, wait a few seconds after you run the soaked cleaner through the stem ,then run a fresh cleaner through it. It will be dryer than a popcorn fart, in less time than it would take you to turn the water tap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.